Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
PLASTIC VANES FALLING OFF >

PLASTIC VANES FALLING OFF

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

PLASTIC VANES FALLING OFF

Old 01-20-2003, 10:50 AM

Default PLASTIC VANES FALLING OFF

I'M USING FASTSET GEL GLUE ON 4" PLASTIC VANES ON EASTON ACC SHAFTS, AND THE DARN THINGS KEEP FALLING OFF. I'VE CLEANED THE SHAFTS AND USED
A SMALL AMOUNT OR A LARGE AMOUNT OF GLUE. HELP
Old 01-20-2003, 01:06 PM

Default RE: PLASTIC VANES FALLING OFF

OK, I can fix this one but it will require you to make a trip and spend some money. Go to wally world and get some Locktite super glue. Probably will cost about 2.00. Clean your shafts and get all oil from your hands off of them. I use acatone but some say not to. Use just enough glue to get the vanes covered, put them on ,wait 1 minute and put another on till finished. Put a drop at back and front of vane and go shoot them. You don't have to buy expensive stuff for vanes as the special glues are all about the same. Don

Old 01-20-2003, 01:28 PM

What kind of vanes are you using? I've used AAE, and plastifletch with super glue gel on ACC's, beman's, CXL's and Redlines. Never prepped anything and the vane will rip before the base let's go. I've also tried that with Marco and dura-vanes and could not get a good adhesion. Just a thought.
Old 01-20-2003, 02:56 PM

I BEEN USING BOHNING 4" PLASTIC VANES.
Old 01-20-2003, 02:59 PM

ONE OTHER THING THAT I FORGOT TO MENTION IS THAT I AM PUTTING THE VANES ON A SLIGHT ANGLE WITH A STRAIGHT CLIP AND THE VANE DOESN'T SEEM TO COME IN CONTACT WITH THE SHAFT COMPLETELY.
Old 01-20-2003, 03:21 PM
tm
Fork Horn

The first thing you need to do is adjust the jig to where the base of vane is fully contacting the shaft. Then clean the shaft and vane base with alcohol, acetone, or plain white vinegar. They use a release agent in the dies when making some vanes and glue won't stick to it. This should help.

Old 01-20-2003, 04:15 PM
CWB

I was thinking about trying some 4" Duravanes this year...but if you guys are having problems with them sticking? Is this common with the Duravanes? I have been using AAE and Easton diamond vanes and they won't come off unless you cut them off!
Old 01-20-2003, 04:44 PM

As tm said, First you need to adjust your jig so the vanes contact the whole length. I have also used acetone to clean the vanes but as already stated, you should not have to.

Hey CWB, the Duravanes will stick with no problem but I am not sure why they call them Duravanes. I have always shot Marco and tried the Duravanes this year. I have shot thru many many vanes. If I could shoot good enough, I would really have a problem I even filed the points off my field points and they still get a vane every now and then. Good vanes but not very DURABLE. Don

Old 01-20-2003, 08:52 PM
tm
Fork Horn

You don't need to clean the AAE, Easton, or Duravanes they have an accelerator on the bases so the glue sets up faster, but some manufacturers use the release agent I was talking about. Not sure if Bohning does, but most of the slick looking vanes are made that way.

Old 01-20-2003, 09:58 PM

I had the same problem as JPERSENAIRE when I was first learning to fletch: AAE Fastset on Bohning vanes won't bond to your shafts unless you wipe the vane bases with acetone like DoninVa and tm said.

I got really frustrated until I learned this technique...from advice I got last year from this board...good knowledge here.

HuntingNet Member since Spring 2001

Quick Reply: PLASTIC VANES FALLING OFF

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.