Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 can i get by with this arrow >

can i get by with this arrow

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

can i get by with this arrow

Old 11-04-2007, 10:44 PM

Default can i get by with this arrow

I knew my 2117's were way underspined for what i am shooting...70 lbs 31 inch arrows at about a 29" draw 115 gr. BH.
I know by the charts ishould be usinga .300 spined arrow even at 30" which is what i had the arrows cut to but I couldnt find them in a carbon arrow that was within my price range.So I got the Beman 340 ics venture cut to 30 inches and i do plan to go to a 100 gr BH from the 115 gr BH.
By the charts i would only have to drop 4 lbs off my draw weight with the 100 gr BH to actually be within the spine or 7 lbs with the 115 gr BH.
my question is...is 4 lbs really worth the time to back off the bow or is this close enough not to worry?
Old 11-05-2007, 04:15 AM

Default RE: can i get by with this arrow

Once you lower your FOC that far, and are on the weak side of spine rating, I would definitely lower the draw weight to whatever it takes to match. Do some bareshaft testing to find out. Charts are okay, but only bareshaft testing will tell you if the spine is correct.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Let's take a deep breath and back up a smidge here.... I've been thinking about your problem with arrow length, Al, and have finally broken through a rust encrusted door in my memory.

If I'm not mistaken, a Golden Eagle Talon is an older bow - like mid-80's - with laminated wood limbs, steel cables and round wheels. Isn't that what we're talking about?

If that's the bow, then those 340's will work, but you'll probably have to go with 125 grain heads. Otherwise they might be too stiff. And you are going to be on the light side of arrow weight for that bow at around 6.6 grains per pound of draw wieght. Those old girls like her were only rated to 6 grains per pound to start with, and she is getting a bit old.

Keep a close watch on the teardrops, where your string attatches to the cables, to make sure the cables aren't pulling out of 'em. With steel cable bows, that's the most likely place you'll get a failure due to using light arrows.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:40 PM

arthur the cams on the bow arent round but they are not as oval as say what is on the mathews i guess they would be a soft cam and if that is my case (a soft cam) according to eastons shaft selector i'm in there. Arrows weigh 338 grains (fletched,nocked and insert for BH)without a broad head.
the cable material is not steel....you sound like you are thinking of my bear blacktail hunter bow mid 70's.
dont mean to sound like i am being short and rude with youjust dont have too much time left before i hit the bed tonight . I appreciate all the help i get from those who know better.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

No problem, Al... Just trying to make sure what kind of equipment we're dealing with. With bow prices like they are nowadays, I've been seeing quite a few older bows coming out of retirement lately.
Old 11-06-2007, 04:04 AM

With bow prices like they are nowadays, I've been seeing quite a few older bows coming out of retirement lately.
I've noticed the same thing. A modern compound should be good for a least 15-20 years use, especially considering that many fine traditional bows are going strong after 60-70 years of use.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:50 AM

And some of these great older bows can be picked up for $75.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have my good compound but also brought a PSE Laser 2 out of retirement!It has the round wheels and steel cables, i shoot an easton axis FMJ 400 off of it cut to 30" inches with a 65# DW.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:27 PM

i paid $40 for the bow,hard case,6 - 2117 gamegetter II's, my bro gave me the rest and sight, I bought the current arrows and BH's
Old 11-06-2007, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Then you got into the bowhuntin' thing pretty cheap!

Quick Reply: can i get by with this arrow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.