Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 String Pops off Cam - Why? >

String Pops off Cam - Why?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

String Pops off Cam - Why?

Old 10-25-2007, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: String Pops off Cam - Why?

i wonder if your limbs are weekening and making the cams do this.. especially since you checked the axles and bearings...when i put my laser checker on my relfex (hoyt)onthe sight mount and tracked a laser from nock to cams (top and bottom) the laser would eventually point at the wall,, being way off .. a week later one of my limbs had a narly crack in it.. dealer cant figure out why it was doing this.. never dryfired .. who knows.. maybe itll be better when my limbs are in and replaced..

Old 10-25-2007, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: nethunter

and the string would jump off about every 2 or 3 shots.
Ouch! The cams don't appear to flatten, BTW, and they didn't do this for hundreds of shots in the past.

Does it have floating "Y" yokes or static yokes? If they float then changing them end for end isn't going to help any.
These are 'upgrades' - cables run straight thru the Y to the ends, as opposed to having a sliding thingy at the Y. Would that be static?

Just pulled the other cam. Axle is straight, no significant slop in the cam sleeve, but again some slop in the limb holes.

To derail the thread here, found a webcam with the ranch I built in view. The fire swept thru there twice, and there is a huge mushroom cloud in view. Everything is burned all around the ranches at the bottom of the canyon, but they appear to be untouched. God Bless those volunteer firemen and others who came to help!
Yep, this is what we call a static yoke. What we do to straighten out the top wheel (cam or idler) is twist up the side needed to straighten the wheel. You can use an arrow as a straight edge along side the cam to check for alignment. Laid along side the cam it should parallel the string.

NOW here's where things get dicey. If you are shooting a cam+1/2 or single cam you don't have a static yoke attached to the bottom limb so if there is any lean you can't do anything about it.

For what it's worth the cams probably aren't leaning. The limb tips are being twisted out of shape by the side torque created by the cable guard. It's quite common with this antiquated technology.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:20 PM
Typical Buck

Try swapping your limbs from side to side.
Old 10-25-2007, 10:25 PM
Spike

Interesting ideas.

I'm going to try a few.

Thanks.