Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Perfect Arrows

Old 10-09-2007, 06:27 PM

Default Perfect Arrows

Does anyone know where to get arrows that are tested for spine direction(?), then the inserts (and broadheads)and fletching are all aligned so that all arrows are basically identical? I remember seeing them somewhere, but I can't remember where.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Perfect Arrows

I build my arrows..I have a spine tester...Its a good tool...Idk what you'ld do about inserts tho
Old 10-09-2007, 08:18 PM

Spine direction? Are you talking about the stiffer and weaker side of the arrow? I buy bare shafts and "float" my arrows to find the stiff spined side.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:08 PM

Yes that's what I'm talking about. I remember reading about a company that did that, and fletched the arrows all the same, and aligned the inserts and spin tested the arrows. Anyone know the company??? I can't remember. BTW what do you mean by "float"?

Old 10-12-2007, 04:39 AM

I buy bare shafts and "float" my arrows to find the stiff spined side.
Do you know if it's ever been demonstrated that floating accomplishes this? I'm curious because I would guess that floating would find the high side in a bend, but not necessarily the stiff side. I've made a spine tester so I don't have to worry about it, but it would be nice to know if floating actually finds the stiff side.

Maybe on my next dozen, I'll mark the stiff side and then float them to see if it identifies the stiff side the same.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:33 PM

How do you build a spine tester??
Old 10-17-2007, 03:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

I cant see any business going to all that trouble to make perfect arrows.

They would never collect enough money for the time spent.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

I buy bare shafts and "float" my arrows to find the stiff spined side.
Do you know if it's ever been demonstrated that floating accomplishes this? I'm curious because I would guess that floating would find the high side in a bend, but not necessarily the stiff side. I've made a spine tester so I don't have to worry about it, but it would be nice to know if floating actually finds the stiff side.

Maybe on my next dozen, I'll mark the stiff side and then float them to see if it identifies the stiff side the same.
No, I do not know. To be honest, I read somewhere on the net about floating arrows and figured I would give it a shot. Some shafts would do a noticeable spin in the water while I had to guide the others along.

So you're saying I can accomplish the same thing with the spine tester? How exactly does it work?

To say the least, "floating" my arrows made me more confident. Hell, it may have not helped at all.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:20 PM

BTW what do you mean by "float"?
You must have a bare shaft to even float the shaft. This means no inserts. You must keep the nock end nocked and then install a nock on the insert end. Fill your bathtub with warm water and throw in some dish soap just so they spin more freely. You should be able to see the arrow slowly spin in the water. Sometimes you have to roll it a bit with your fingers to get it started. The stiffer side should be on the bottom. Take a sharpie and "dot" the top side of the shaft. That is the weak side. You want to shoot the stiff side down. So, your cock vane will be aligned with the dot you made.

I'm waiting for Straightarrow to reply back. I may be buying/making a spine tester. Would be interested to see if "floating" gave the same results.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:26 PM
Typical Buck

If you buy a spine tester it is going to cost you around 300 dollars. They aren't cheap for what they consist of.

Quick Reply: Perfect Arrows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.