Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Resizing Maxima 350 arrows >

Resizing Maxima 350 arrows

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Resizing Maxima 350 arrows

Old 10-02-2007, 11:34 PM

Default Resizing Maxima 350 arrows

Hava a friend who's giving me his 29" Maxima 350's. I have a Bear Element set at 73# pull and 28" draw length, using a whisker biscuit rest. What I want to do is cut these down to a 26 or 26.5" and put Blazer vanes on them. Can I resize OK? Thanks for the help.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:32 AM

Default RE: Resizing Maxima 350 arrows

A .350 arrow will be quite stiff at that length. You can probably get the spine correct at the shorter length, by simply adding tip weight until they bareshaft perfectly. I suspect you may have to put on quite a bit of weight. Of course, this is a very good thing when designed a hunting arrow.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:47 AM

Yes, you'll be cutting them short enough to remove the insert. You are gonna be overspined at that length though.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:37 AM

Yes, you'll be cutting them short enough to remove the insert.
I believe the Maximas are a weight-forward design. This means you want to cut from the nock end. Since you're refletching with blazers, this should be no problem.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

I believe the Maximas are a weight-forward design. This means you want to cut from the nock end. Since you're refletching with blazers, this should be no problem.
Are all the Maxima arrows weight forward? Just wondering because I have Maxima 350's.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:04 AM

These are the Maxima Hunter 350's. Also if I figured correctly my IBO weight should be 365. Therefore at 8.7gr/in. and using a 100gr. broadhead or field pt. I should be at about 368 w/nocks and inserts combined and that should be ok, correct? And thanks again guys for your input. I've been out of this for awhile and trying to catch back up.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

Yes, they are. You could cut them from either end really. You're not taking enough off to make much difference as far as FOC is concerned. Actually, I think if you cut from the nock end, your FOC will be too high.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:34 PM

Actually, I think if you cut from the nock end, your FOC will be too high.
In my opinion, that would be very difficult to acheive. At least not with the typical arrow components that are available and still have the arrow spine correctly. I'm shooting some arrows with an FOC of near 30% and they fly with incredible forgiveness and accuracy with broadheads attached.

Also if I figured correctly my IBO weight should be 365. Therefore at 8.7gr/in. and using a 100gr. broadhead or field pt. I should be at about 368 w/nocks and inserts combined and that should be ok, correct?
I doubt that is near enough tip weight to spine correctly, especially at 26" arrow length. The actual total arrow weight is irrelevant. You need a tip weight that matchs your bow and arrow specs if you want optimal broadhead flight.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:56 PM

Ok, but what I mean is this. There isn't much arrow behind the camo finish on aMaxima Hunter. If you cut off very much of it, you'll pretty much have a camo arrow from end to end.....well, not quite end to end, but very close to it. There's only what, 8" behind the camo? Cut 3" off of that, and you are eliminating the gains. You no longer have the advantage of the camo finish giving increased FOC. You need that bare shaft at the tail to gain that advantage.

Or is my thinking just really wrong on this ??
Old 10-03-2007, 07:35 PM
Typical Buck

You would be better off leaving them at 29 inches . They are still overspined but if you cut them to 26.5 inches then they go WAY overspined according to OT2.

Quick Reply: Resizing Maxima 350 arrows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.