Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Given an difficult start....Help? >

Given an difficult start....Help?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Given an difficult start....Help?

Old 09-28-2007, 11:47 AM

Default Given an difficult start....Help?

Well, bought my first bow, a Mission X3 60#/28.5in dl, using a WB and a release, TruGlo BriteSite Extreme, also using (on the shops suggestion) Carbon Impact Trophy Hunter 350 w/ 100 gr field points and 2" vanes. I've had it now about 2 months, and practiced almost daily.

The only thing I was told from the shop I bought it at in Garland, TX was "Make sure and Nock your arrows Cock nock down".

After 2 months of practice I am not shooting bad, but I'm not getting near the grouping I feel I should be; and I have been getting the occassional arrow that seemed to be way out of wack. I start checking the clearance on my arrows through the WB and it appears as though if I release an arrow cock down, the fleth is going to be hitting the WB bracket....

So, I started doing some reading. First on Carolina Archery's site. Turns out they suggest that no vane ever pass thru the black Whiskers of the WB.....hmmm. that is exactly what the shop I bought the bow from had me doing. So I change that and groups have tightened a bit.

Next I look at the arrows they suggested. Turns out for my set-up I should be shooting Trophy Hunter 400's. TH 350's at my draw length aren't used until 73-79#.

Ya know...I don't think I'll be going back to this shop

Anyway, all that said, I do like my bow; I just need to make a few adjustments it seems. Does it sound like I'm on the right track to straightening out my performance? Also, does anyone in the I-75 area of N. Texas, between Richardson and Sherman have a good shop suggestion?

Open to suggestions on proper arrows for my set-up, as well. Was considering using Easton Axis ST 400, but if one of you here have a suggestion, please feel free.

Thanks
Old 09-28-2007, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Given an difficult start....Help?

ORIGINAL: BucksNBeer

The only thing I was told from the shop I bought it at in Garland, TX was "Make sure and Nock your arrows Cock nock down".

I start checking the clearance on my arrows through the WB and it appears as though if I release an arrow cock down, the fleth is going to be hitting the WB bracket....

So, I started doing some reading. First on Carolina Archery's site. Turns out they suggest that no vane ever pass thru the black Whiskers of the WB.....hmmm.
Thanks
None of the vanes should pass through the "black whiskers". The black ones are stiffer than the brown ones.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

IF your able and comfortable, you can crank the limbs down and increase the poundage and your arrows will work.

or, shoot heavier points. not sure on the actual spine of those arrows...its better to be slightly stiff than weak...but stiff is a fairly easy fix. bet you can get away without buying new arrows.

heck, you might beable to shoot a 200gr head, get awesome flight and performance and turn a bad thing into a good thing.

muzzyshooter is right about the whisker biscuit...shoot cock(odd) vane up so none pass through that bottom portion of the biscuit...

fill us in with your actual arrow legnth from the notch of the nock to the end of the shaft(not point) and someone may beable to tell you what to do to get those arrows to work...

unless you only have a couple and WANT new arrows...upto you...good luck

Old 09-28-2007, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man, your shop is giving you some bad info. No doubt that you should be shooting the TH 400. There is nothing wrong with the shaft. They just gave you the wrong size.

Do you have any expectations of shooting 70# one of these days? If so then the 350's would probably work then, but not now. I'd take them back and see if they will swap for 400's.

What kind of vanes are on them? If they are Blazers then they might work with broadheads, but if just standard vanes then 2" isn't going to give enough steerage for broadheads.

Just some advice, as it seems you aren't getting it now, but next time you want to make a purchase come here for some advice before you buy---not after.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:25 PM

Next I look at the arrows they suggested. Turns out for my set-up I should be shooting Trophy Hunter 400's. TH 350's at my draw length aren't used until 73-79#.
That's true only if you shoot the light broadhead. Those arrows will work fine if you up the broadhead weight. How much will depend on the arrow length, draw length and draw weight. This has it's advantages. The resulting higher FOC will give you a more forgiving arrow and greater penetration potential.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:24 PM

Sorry...meant to give arrow length, but must've slipped my mind.

Arrow length is 28 3/8 from Nock Groove to the end of the shaft, draw length is 28.5 with a draw weight of 60#. I'm currently only shooting 100gr field points on them, and was going to use Slick Trick 100gr Magnums.....any suggestions?

I'm really not planning on increasing the draw weight at all in the future, I'm comfortable with where it's at.

I don't recall if I asked for Blazers, the profile of the vanes look like what I have seen with Blazers, but not positive. I am planning on getting new arrows anyway, though. Like I said originally, I am considering Easton Axis ST 400's; but would I do better using the next stiffness up and a heavier broadhead with Blazers? Open to all suggestions.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

No reason to go stiffer. A 400 is just fine for your setup. Just understand that an ST Axis is a heavier walled arrow so has more mass weight--meaning less speed. Nothing wrong with that per se. Just letting you know.