Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

String Slap

Old 09-24-2007, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default String Slap

Guys I was shooting great all summer and have been really busy and havent shot my bow in 2 weeks. I shot it last night and the string hits my wrist and the arrows hits 3 in. to the left. I know its something with my grip and I tried everything with my grip and same thing. Any Ideas?

Thanks

Die Hard
Old 09-24-2007, 10:41 AM

Default RE: String Slap

Open your stance up a little bit. What I mean is, if you are a right handed shooter, take your right foot and take a half step away from you, so your feet aren't square to each other.

Also, since you haven't shot in a while, make sure your string isn't about to come apart. A string that is failing will stretch a lot, and cause lots of issues.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Almost always string slap is caused by one of two things or both. Too long a draw and/or improper grip. It's possible your string has crept and the draw has gotten longer. For the grip try this:

http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/featu...unter/getagrip
Old 09-24-2007, 02:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

It is a good idea to check your string. I'd hate to hear about a mishap. You could have been close to getting slapped and a small change could make the difference

Dan
Old 09-24-2007, 02:23 PM
Typical Buck

Also you may want to try a string supressor. In a hunting situation from a tree stand you can't always get a good stance and have great form. I use onemade by shawnsarchery.com and am very pleased with it. I have a Guardian and I try to practice from different positions I might have in the stand and sometimes I would get the string slap too, but the string supressor cured it for me.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: honcho12

Also you may want to try a string supressor. In a hunting situation from a tree stand you can't always get a good stance and have great form. I use onemade by shawnsarchery.com and am very pleased with it. I have a Guardian and I try to practice from different positions I might have in the stand and sometimes I would get the string slap too, but the string supressor cured it for me.
Although I don't advocate using a String Suppressor just to keep from getting slapped they will helpMake sure everything else is right and then add a String Suppressor and enjoy all the benefits.

Dan
Old 09-25-2007, 08:17 AM
Typical Buck

By the way, the only reason I am not using one of yours is mine came on the bow.I was trying the bow at the shop and got a couple of small slaps and theownerputs these on most of the bows he sells.
ORIGINAL: MeanV2

ORIGINAL: honcho12

Although I don't advocate using a String Suppressor just to keep from getting slapped they will helpMake sure everything else is right and then add a String Suppressor and enjoy all the benefits.

Dan
Old 09-26-2007, 12:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe your standing to square to your bow while shooting and your arm is too close to your string . I've been through this and once I spread my leg's and turned slightly toward's the target ,I had no more string slap.

Just another thing to look at

nubo
Old 09-26-2007, 02:04 PM
Typical Buck

Started having the same issue and wasn't grouping very well. Changed my grip and its solved both problems. Hold your bow in the pocket of your thumb and pointer finger, then curl your other three fingers back so the grip is resting against the back of the three fingers. This will basically turn your hand about 45 deg out at the bottom in turn moving your arm out away from the string. Helped me a ton.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:19 PM

Is it as simple as having put on a heavier jacket now that it's later in the season? (Probably not since you guys are still cooking down there.) Thicker jackets not only add bulk to your bow arm they also may cause you to address the bow differently, changing your grip and stance.

Quick Reply: String Slap

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.