Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bow Hunting Noob Question.. >

Bow Hunting Noob Question..

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bow Hunting Noob Question..

Old 09-18-2007, 01:10 PM

Default Bow Hunting Noob Question..

I am just starting into bow hunting and really know nothing at all about the equipment side of it. I need to get setup here quickly as I am going on a bow hunt in Mid-Oct in Nashville. Not much time obviously.

I have been looking at some bows at a local pro-shop, Bass-pro, and on Craigslist. Bass-Pro was useless.. and the pro-shop had no inventory.. probably b/c all the new bows are coming out here shortly. I don't really see the need for a brand new bow, as I am such a beginner and will probably only hunt with it 2x-4x a year.

I know I want quality.. but don't really have the funds to pay for it. OnCraigslist,I see a Hoyt Tenacity w/ all the fixin's for $335, a Hoyt Enticer w/ extras for $350, and a Hoyt Magnatec ZR200 w/ a bunch of stuff for $500. Any of these sound like they are worth checking out?

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

btw: Im looking for a RT Hand, 29.5 draw length, and probably a 50-60 or a 60-70 lb draw weight.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bow Hunting Noob Question..

I got just what your looking for, 02 model Reflex with a Cobra sight, Wisker Biscut, Pinnacle quiver, uknown stabilizer, peep sight, ulumi-noc, and seven Carbon Express Hunters for 350.00. Oh what a deal!!

Old 09-18-2007, 01:38 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Tha_Grouch

I am just starting into bow hunting and really know nothing at all about the equipment side of it. I need to get setup here quickly as I am going on a bow hunt in Mid-Oct in Nashville. Not much time obviously.
That is not much time to get ready for your first bow hunt: less than a month away. Good luck.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree. This is something you should have done at least 6 months ago. This isn't gun hunting. You just can't point and shoot. You have to be accurate and know your equipment which doesn't happen over night.

That being said, I think you're wise to pick a used bow, but be careful what you look at. There isn't much of a market for used gear so it's a buyer's market.

While I'm on the subject, 60# will kill anything in North America. I don't care how strong you are. YOu'll shoot 60 musch better than 70#. This isn't a macho sport either. YOu can't learn to shoot right if you're struggling with a bow.

ORIGINAL: Super G Force

ORIGINAL: Tha_Grouch

That is not much time to get ready for your first bow hunt: less than a month away. Good luck.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:17 PM

I'm going to disagree and say you need to go to a proshop (not a big box store), and have them set you up. I walked out spending twice as much as I wanted to, but well worth it.

I got my first bow Sunday, andthe only reason I'll go out with it this year is just to get in a tree. I can put a group of five in the center dot, but it wouldnt be fair to try and do that to an animal this soon.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see this is post #1 , with that in mind

Id wait till next year , realy , buy a bow now , practice for a year , use nothing but broadheads for a couple months before next years season starts .
Take it for what its worth , 2 months is not enough time to develop the skills you need .
Old 09-18-2007, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with ijimmy on this one. One month is justnot enough time to practice right.Most deer won't stand broadside at exactly 20 yds for you to shoot.

Buy the bow now and start shooting and you'll be ready for the late season or mid Nov at the earliest. There's a lot more to it than hitting a target at 20 or even 30 yds. A deer will not have a bullseye on it either.
Sorry if that seems harsh but we have to think about the deer and the image that archery have.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:32 PM

I'm aware that my time is short. So, if I feel that I am not ready in time, I will go ahead and use the cross bow I hunted with a few timeslast season.. and am familiar with.

I am still looking for advice on what bow setup to be looking for. Should I go with quality? Such as a used Mathews or Hoyt? Or should I be looking for something more beginner oriented.. say like a Parker package deal? Consider the fact I will only be hunting a few times a year and I'd like to keep the price of the bow under or around $500.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Many of the lower tier bows are very good and more accurate than most of us. The best thing you should do is go shoot a few and then decide what you are willing to give up for the price.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

A good use Ross bow would be good. Used Dartons can be purchased at a resonable price. You might be able to shoot well in a month, I'm with the others though and would say no. One thing you will do is learn something.

Quick Reply: Bow Hunting Noob Question..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.