Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 heavy broadheads.. >

heavy broadheads..

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

heavy broadheads..

Old 09-17-2007, 09:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default heavy broadheads..

a couple of you shoot HEAVY broadheads...150+

im pretty interested in this now that i moved to a heavier arrow...125s give me an FOC of 10-11% with my tracer nocks.

been looking at Magnus Snuffers or 4blade Stingers...can get snuffers upto 185 and stingers upto 150. or snuffer SSs in 150...really dont wanna mess with insert weights and things like that...unless needed...

not going to touch anything this year...i got 125gr muzzys flyin where i want...but no matter what i cant get them broadhead tuned with FPs...think because of the tracer nock...

anyways...will the heavier heads help??? any others i should look into?? looking for a good, tough, accurate, reliable head thats gunna leave me a GOOD hole...whats a good pick?? not sure HOW heavy i wanna go...or need to go...

thats why im here...gimme your input...what are you guys using for heavier heads?? this is coming from a bow shooting 250-260fps and 65+lbs of KE...i want great accuracy...pass throughs, good trails, if bone is in the way, its smashed...my arrows right now with 125s weigh in at like 460grs with tracer nocks..pretty sure i can get them to work with 150s+..i like the arrow and will probably stick with them..think the spine is slightly heavy...can always drop bow weight if needed so they should work with heavy heads...
Old 09-17-2007, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: heavy broadheads..

My good friend uses 200 gr. Snuffers out of his longbow and has excellent results with them. I know Muzzy Phantoms come in 220 as well, and 200 without the bleeders. I know that is areally big broadhead and probably more than you are looking for. I bought some Cabelas Lazer Pro Mag heads in 140 gr. 4-blade and shot them yesterday and was happy with the results. They are one nasty head, 1 1/4" cut, 4 blades, pretty wicked and very cost effective. With the heavy arrows, no question your penetration is better, and a heavy is more accurate IMO than alight arrow, and can recover much better from any interference, be it leaves, wind, all that stuff.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am using Muzzy Phantoms w/bleeders 220grainand they shoot great. I am also shooting 2 other broadheads, Crimson Talons and Slicktricks, but I have 100grain brass inserts so I get a tip weight of 225 grains. The arrows are accurate out to50 yards (as far as I regularly practice).

They also make brass inserts at 50 grains if you do not want to crank the tip weight up as much.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am also using the Muzzy Phantoms but without the bleeders for a head weight of 200gr. The arrow flight I am getting is the best flight I have ever got out of a compound.

The one thing you have to make sure of is that your arrows are spined correctly for the heads.

I also have 2 dozen of the Outback Supremes coming in 170gr so I will be using the 50gr brass inset for those heads.

Here is a link to them.

http://users.ncable.net.au/~woody/introduction_page.htm

They have a few different blade designs and range from 115 gr to 170gr

Old 09-17-2007, 12:34 PM

Back in the early 90 I thought I wanted to go back to a Trad-bows and was stoohing 66 lbs big horn recurve I used a 200 gr Snuffers and 2219s to try to get more penetration on game that I wasn't get frist year trad hunting with 2018s and 125 gr. broadheads on 3 deer taken. I went to a heavier arrow. They shot great I could hit a put them through a pop can out to 30 yards all day long. The frist buck I shot was at about 15 yard the arrow nocked him off his feet like I hit him with a ball bat, but it still didn't go all the way through him, almost. The only thing I could come up with the snuffer blade designs is so big around and so much area to push through the chest of a deer, or the 2219 didn't have time to get staighten out at 15 yards with the 200 gr. head. For some reason it hit him hard but didn't penetrat all the way through like I wanted. After one more year and 7 more deer trad hunting. I went back to a 65-70 lb. compound and the carbon arrow frist came out and I have been sticking the arrow through them like they are made of air and pulling the arrow out of the ground on deer and Elk ever time. Thats the way I like it, with fast recovery
Old 09-17-2007, 12:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Besides the 220 Phantom. You can also go with a traditional head like a grizzly, magnus, zwickey and an adapter. If you want to go even heavier, you can get steel or brass adapter or inserts.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys...seems my broadhead choices are about endless and definently seems the way to go.

now....say i shoot a 200gr head...can i find a 200gr field point?? how do i get that to work shooting carbon arrows?? i cant heat them up to get inserts in and out...or do i designate some hunting and regular inserts and some fieldpoints with 100gr brass inserts and 100gr FPs? i guess i need to look at options in the insert/FP catagory....not making the switch till after the season....but i like planning

is it true with 2blade heads that they should line up with the string for best flight?? if so...going with a trad head and a screw in adaptor sounds like the way to go..i assume they get glued to the adapter...i can glue them to line up with the string...

will Blazers work with a heavy head??? heck...if i goto a drop away next season, i could shoot 4 or 5" helical feathers....really get some wicked accuracy...but i do like my Blazers...

man...i just aughta get me some Cedars and a longbow...i really want to...just dont know if im ready for that yet...want to get a couple under the belt with the compound first...
Old 09-17-2007, 04:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

now....say i shoot a 200gr head...can i find a 200gr field point??
Yes at www.3riversarchery.com

how do i get that to work shooting carbon arrows?? i cant heat them up to get inserts in and out...or do i designate some hunting and regular inserts and some fieldpoints with 100gr brass inserts and 100gr FPs?
Just use the regular inserts with 200gr FP's and unscrew them for BH's

is it true with 2blade heads that they should line up with the string for best flight??
I have found that this is not an issue my 2 bladed broad heads are all at different angles and still have the same POI.

will Blazers work with a heavy head???
Yes they will.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx ausie-guy....never thought the check 3 rivers...i get their catalogs(i drool over trad gear...call me nuts...but i do. i will eventually make the plunge. love the whole aspect of it...i want to build my own arrows...do it all...

but till then....i am gunna start workin on building the perfect arrow for my compound so come spring i can order and shoot some real darts
Old 09-17-2007, 05:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

No problems let me know if I can help you design your arrow.

call me nuts
Ok your nuts[8D]

Quick Reply: heavy broadheads..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.