Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Drop A way problems, need some help >

Drop A way problems, need some help

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Drop A way problems, need some help

Old 09-14-2007, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default Drop A way problems, need some help

I've been to the bow shop a bunch of times now with drop a way rest issues, one after another. Seems that each rest and each problem all stem down to basic bow tech skills. I've been trying to sight in my pendulum sight and every time I get started I get 10-12 shots in and my arrows start hitting lower and lower. I look at the lanyard and it keeps sliding up the buss cable. I've been back to the shop 3 times and 2 different techs each retied the lanyard to the buss cable and this last time they said they couldn't tie a better knot and just slid it back into place again. 12 shots later the 2 knots are an inch apart again. I tried sliding the knot up and readjusting the lanyard from the rest end and it just keeps sliding. It's not easy to slide back, just seems the waxed string is too slippery.
When it seems to stop sliding, the arrow broad head barely comes up before hitting the shelf on the way to full draw. I'm told it should come up about the time it reaches my sight, or. somewhere between the shelf and sight. When it does raise up between the sight and shelf, I shoot good bullet holes. When the lanyard settles I shoot real low. My sight hasn't changed much through 3 different drop a way rests exept when this drop away drops too fast because the lanyard keeps slipping. What do I di now? I though about go buying a serving tool and trying myself but my season starts tomorrow. I'd like to be able to hunt the last few hours tomorrow. have till then to figure this out and get sighted in. I wont hunt til I do.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Drop A way problems, need some help

Just use dental floss, or strong thread,for now and serve above, around, and below the cord knot. This will keep the knot from sliding and will hold it for a while.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like dave said, a good serving job will stop the sliding problem. Just a thought, make sure all your heads are either alligned with your fletches or try drawing back with a broadhead that has a blade pointed straight down. If that head clears your riser, your good to go. Another option is to go with a rest like the QAD, it locks in the up position and puts very little tention on the cord. Wont have any problems with blades clearing the riser either.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Get a slide that allows the cord to be attached to it.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:39 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys. I went to the bow shop got some #18 serving and braught it home. (can't believe all the people in buying bows today! 1 day before season?)The original knot slide about 1.5" up and twisted 180 degrees making the lanyard face the rest side. I slid the knots back into place so the lanyard falls the right way. This is A DMI rest. once the knot is tied and is solid, you can adjust the drop timing on the rest end of the lanyard with an alen screw.
I followed the diagram I found on a different thread and reserved it right over the old knot. I tried a few times befor i felt I kept it tight enough. At this pint I wasn't concerned about the drop timing, but I should have payed more attention. I drew the bow back and the knot didn't move but the lanyard pulled through. Grrrr
I Used a ratchet tiedown to make a make shift bow press. Don't ask. It worked and I was able to slide the bottom knot down and remelt a better knob on the lanyard and get it back into the buss cable. Slid the bottom knot back up and reserved it. The techs knots were about 3/4" long each. I served over both and added another 3/4 inch. This time I loosened the lanyard at the rest, now what?
How far should the arrow travel before the rest starts dropping? If I turn the knock feather down, I also have a blade down. It wants to be set where the blade hits the shelf. My arrows are too short for comfort , accually come back over the shef at full draw, Shoots bullet hole when the arrow broad head travels 2-4 inches past the shelf. To get it out to 4" the lanyard is really pulling hard. Is that too much arrow travel before the drop? The arrow came up about 5"-6" before the the shelf the time I pulled the lanyard out. Can't have that.
The wind is supposed to die down tonight and tomorrow is calling for 5-10 mph. The knots are as tight as they are ever going to get. The lanyard is loose on the rest end has plenty of room for adjustment. Just need to know how to set the drop? When should the rest actually drop? AT full draw the tip of my broad head is flush with the front of the bow shelf. (Don't ask, I had A WB prior to the drop aways. Next batch of arrows will be longer) AS it moves foward slowly how many inches should the arrow travel before the rest drops? Should the BH drops just past the shelf? 2" past the shelf? 3?4? From what I've seen so far I say 4 is max and I tend to over do things. It's easy to set just don't know where to set it so it's not pulling so hard on my buss cable.Getting more than 4" travel pulls too hard on the buss cable. Am I at least in the ball park here?
Old 09-15-2007, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Way to much. Around 2-3 inchesis the norm. No wonder why your pulling the thing part.
Old 09-16-2007, 07:05 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks. My bow is shooting real good again. Spent all morning yesterday shooting and getting sighted back in and was out in my deer stand by 3 pm. I passed up on a doe with her spotted fawn and a 4 pointer. I was able to draw 4 or 5 times on the doe. Really helped me to settle my nerves. The fawn was so small that shooting the doe would kill them both and I wasn't starting my season with spots. I've never seen such a small fawn this late in the year.
I had my drop away figured out by myself but then seeing the relplies here, helped my confidence a lot knowing I did it right. Thanks

Old 09-16-2007, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

You may be able to pick up a cableguard slidewith a hole in the bottom just for a dropaway lanyard. If not, have themslide the lanyard through the cable and serve it. No more worries about a sliding lanyard.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:58 AM
Fork Horn

The lanyard was/is through the cable and was served. Apparently I had too much wax on the cable and the bow tech didn't get the serving tight enough, seving about 3/4" on top and on bottom. I slid the old serving out of the way, cleaned as much wax off as I could, slide the serving and lanyardback into place, I reserved over the techs serving, made it real tight and served about 1 1/2" above the lanyard, a little less below. It's tight now and I took as much tention as I could off the lanyard by following the advise above, adjusting the timing of the drop and understanding how it's supposed to work.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:45 AM

Im new at this I need help witha cobra diamond back drop away.

Quick Reply: Drop A way problems, need some help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.