Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Gettin a new rest... >

Gettin a new rest...

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Gettin a new rest...

Old 09-10-2007, 07:22 PM

Default RE: Gettin a new rest...

i agree with 8pt. if oyu're in the market for a dropaway, take a look at the qad ultra rest
Old 09-10-2007, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: jkcmerg

SJ... I went with a WB and am so far pleased wit hits simplicity and easy set up..However..after shooting through it last night I have notced some markings on the Blaser fletchings...what would cause this..Cock feather up, strong marking on the right and a soft marking on the left...any ideas??? I will post a pic in a min...
jkc --

I had something that looked similar on my blazers (also shooting WB), but it wasn't from the rest. I didn't have enough clearance from my cables (the blazers are pretty tall) and they were rubbing my cables on the way by. The issue was actually with the factory slide (the cables were starting to cut through it).

The marks look very similar, though. Maybe not your issue, just something to check. I have a Bowtech Guardian.

I just had this rest installed today (as suggested by Rev) and am really liking it. Has all the advantages of the WB without having to worry about damage to vanes or the brushes as much as with the WB.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:35 PM

Do a search on the Muzzy Zero Effect rest. I saw it last week and have made the decision to get one next year. I was not impressed with the WB. I have a QAD right now and the only thing I can complain about is the moleskin that comes with it always seems to fall off. I am on my second third set now.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:17 AM

Over eleven years have passed since I got my first whisker biscuit in the mail from a new company, Carolina Archery Products.

A lot of folks said it would never work. They were wrong. It did work.

For over eleven years I have not had to replace moleskin, nailpolish, or heat shrink something on the prongs of my arrowrest so I could shoot my bow again.

The old biscuit took a few hundred shots to wear in before they would draw and shoot quiet. The savvy hunters that actually shot the rest that many times recognized that fact and became repeat customers for the rest, getting a new whisker biscuit when the got another bow. And they saved the well worn biscuits for hunting!

The biscuit got improved over the years. The B-2 biscuit has zero speed loss compared to the original. But the biscuit still doesn't need any tape, moleskin, nailpolish, or plastic put on it to make it work. And its still the most reliable piece of archery equipment you will ever own.

Tuning a bow with a biscuit is so easy a caveman could do it.

I never understood why anyone would take a bow and add more things to that could go wrong to it. And that is what I see with dropaway rests.

I have seen plenty of posts where people try to improve the whisker biscuit by cutting or burning it for fletching clearance, but all they are really doing is defeating the selfcentering properties of the rest. The bristles will push the arrow back to the center if the arrows gets bumped or torqued off-center when the bow is drawn. And that is one of the biscuit's safest features.

The biscuit is quiet to draw and quiet to shoot. It doesn't freeze up or fail to lift or drop which can and does happen at times with the dropaways.

Look around and you will see a bunch of other guys have figured this stuff out too, and they are using the whisker biscuit.

Good luck choosing a rest. Hope you choose wisely.

Good luck hunting! >>>------------>
Old 09-11-2007, 01:25 AM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Arrroman

Over eleven years have passed since I got my first whisker biscuit in the mail from a new company, Carolina Archery Products.

A lot of folks said it would never work. They were wrong. It did work.

For over eleven years I have not had to replace moleskin, nailpolish, or heat shrink something on the prongs of my arrowrest so I could shoot my bow again.

The old biscuit took a few hundred shots to wear in before they would draw and shoot quiet. The savvy hunters that actually shot the rest that many times recognized that fact and became repeat customers for the rest, getting a new whisker biscuit when the got another bow. And they saved the well worn biscuits for hunting!

The biscuit got improved over the years. The B-2 biscuit has zero speed loss compared to the original. But the biscuit still doesn't need any tape, moleskin, nailpolish, or plastic put on it to make it work. And its still the most reliable piece of archery equipment you will ever own.

Tuning a bow with a biscuit is so easy a caveman could do it.

I never understood why anyone would take a bow and add more things to that could go wrong to it. And that is what I see with dropaway rests.

I have seen plenty of posts where people try to improve the whisker biscuit by cutting or burning it for fletching clearance, but all they are really doing is defeating the selfcentering properties of the rest. The bristles will push the arrow back to the center if the arrows gets bumped or torqued off-center when the bow is drawn. And that is one of the biscuit's safest features.

The biscuit is quiet to draw and quiet to shoot. It doesn't freeze up or fail to lift or drop which can and does happen at times with the dropaways.

Look around and you will see a bunch of other guys have figured this stuff out too, and they are using the whisker biscuit.

Good luck choosing a rest. Hope you choose wisely.

Good post.....

I too have been using a Whisker Biscuit for a long time, (10 years) The original all black bristles needed to be shot a lot for them to break in. This is where the Biscuit picked up it's notorious reputation for ruining fletching and slowing down arrows. Folks started to trim bristles or cut some out. etc...

After the B2 biscuit was released, (the brown and black ones) all of these problems disappeared. The only reason it happens now is if it's not set upcorrectly or the wrong size opening is used. It's either that or I have a "magical Biscuit" on mybow because I've experienced none of the problems noted.

IMHO it's by far and away the best hunting rest you can buy. It just flat out works and works well.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am very impressed with the Spot Hogg Whammy. It takes a bit of time to tune (properly), but once that's done you're off to the races.
A few days ago I left an arrow buried in a target for an hour or so. The vanes on the shaft were completely disfigured. They were twisted in every direction, opposed to beingperfect, making a perfect arrow to'test' the performance of a drop away.
The Whammy passed with flying colours. This arrow flew (out to 50 yards) just as well as the other arrows with vanes in shape, proving that the drop away on the Whammy was doing its job very well.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:16 AM

The perfect test is a subjective thing.

Just because something works today, that doesn't mean it will work when it gets wet and freezes and the wind blows.

At least with the whisker biscuit you can poke your finger in it and know whether or not the arrow will pass through it, even if the rest of the bow were covered with ice.

The litany of excuses for the dropaways not working sound like "the dog ate my homework" to me. I don't need any excuses. I shoot a biscuit.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Arrroman

The litany of excuses for the dropaways not working sound like "the dog ate my homework" to me. I don't need any excuses. I shoot a biscuit.

While you're totally allowed to do what you feel is best for yourself, we each have our own ideology.
If unfortunately, a drop away fails, I take it as a snag and not an excuse.
And while I get your point about the WB--KISS(keep it stupid simple) who knows when Ole' man Murphy pays a visit what else on a bow/hunt couldfail to close the deal.
Just a part of life---what's 100% perfect?