Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Wife can't draw bow with release.... >

Wife can't draw bow with release....

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Wife can't draw bow with release....

Old 08-30-2007, 05:57 PM

Default Wife can't draw bow with release....

This is confusing to me, my wife wants to shoot her bow,when she starts to draw when using a release she gets to the breaking point of the cam and can't get past it, with out a release it comes right back like there nothing to it. I've tried both long and short styles of releases do you think a t style would work? What am I not picking up on?
Old 08-30-2007, 06:02 PM

Default RE: Wife can't draw bow with release....

Can't tell without seeing but I suspect the release strap isn't cinched tight enough and is sliding down her hand, effectively lengthening her draw and stopping her from being able to break it over... just a theory.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

when i first started shooting, I had trouble pulling back my bow with a release. Knocking off 5 lbs of weight helped tremendously.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

Kodiak makes sense in his post. I had this type of problem with the new bow and release I bought. I bought a Tru-Fire release that has two mount holes, one forward and one closer to the your palm. It's the cheapest one they had. I moved the mount and bolt back toward my palm to the closest notch and it made an incredible difference in the ease and smoothness of my draw. You might check into this possibly being the problem.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ain't no law you have to use a release to shoot a bow. If she can draw and shoot comfortably with her fingers, then set her up with a flipper rest and turn her loose.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

With the release on,she's probably trying to pullit back with the arm muscles and not using the back muscles
Old 08-31-2007, 04:42 AM

I know that personally I can draw more weight with a release. I suspect as others, that the draw length is too long with the release on. On a compound, a release willl usually require a shorter draw length than shooting with fingers. Even if you can shorten the bow's drawlength, you may want to look for a release that is made for loops. It tends to bring the hand closer to the string, thus enabling a person to shoot a longer draw length.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:29 AM
Spike

You may need a different release, one that is shorter. Maybe the lil bitty goose. I would go to the shop and try some different models.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try a True-fire stalker--hand held,3-finger,set up as a push or pull trigger.I use this release and know exactly what she is struggling with(much easier to pull back with a hand held release than using a release that makes you use your arm and wrist without gripping with your hand--she'll be able to pull more with a hand held.It sure did the trick for me!
Old 08-31-2007, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think most of the guys have it pretty good here. Converting from fingers to release usually requires about 1" shorter draw length. Couple that to the increased length of the release and sh'e getting stretched out to the point that when the cams are rolling over she's out of oomph.

Too much length.

Quick Reply: Wife can't draw bow with release....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.