Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Does it matter if.... >

Does it matter if....

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Does it matter if....

Old 08-28-2007, 08:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default Does it matter if....

...the brass nock is above or below my nocking point on my arrow? Right now I have it so my arrow nocks over the brass ring, and I have my string loop set 1/8th of an inch high as recomended by others.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Does it matter if....

I usually take off the brass nock when I install a string loop.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:34 PM

Most regular is to have the brass ring set above the arrow. They are easier to set that way when using a bow sqaure.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:54 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ausie-guy

I usually take off the brass nock when I install a string loop.
So the string loop will stay in place without the brass nock?
Old 08-28-2007, 09:17 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Redneck Bowhunter

Most regular is to have the brass ring set above the arrow. They are easier to set that way when using a bow sqaure.
I just set the nock an 1/8 low and it worked out perfect.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use serving thread and make a nockset below the nock, then I tie on my loop. The tied on nockset is lighter than brass and still keeps the bottom knot from slipping up and pinching the nock.

IMO, it's pointless - if not counterproductive - to have a nockset above the arrow nock when using a loop.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the brass on top and loop tied above it and on the bottom i tied serving material to keep the loop from pinching my arrow nock on the draw--Arthur is right that you don't need the brass,but i keep it there because i know the brass nock will not slide up or down the string(peace of mind knowing it won't budge)
Old 08-29-2007, 12:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

When you draw your bow with a loop your release actually pulls slightly above the center of the arrow.

It is best to use use some serving material and tie a nock below your arrow about 3/16" long and one above your arrow about 1/16" long and install the loop outside these tied in nock sets.

This will center the loop below center of your arrow but when you come to full drawyour release will centerdirectly behind the arrow and also keeps the loop from pinching the arrows nock at full drawmaking a cleaner release from the string.

A brass nock doesn't do anything except add weight to the string and slow down your bow. A properly tied and tightenedstring loop will not slide up the serving unless your string is served with monofilament serving material.

In the pic it looks like the arrow isn't square with the loop but this is only because there isn't a rest on this bow so the arrow is resting onthe shelf. But you can see how the release pulls above center of the loop at full draw.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

First of all, I don't use that heavy stringloop material everyone else uses. I use 500 pound parachute cord. It's very small diameter and use only enough to fit your arrow nocked and release. Make sure it's tight, open with a needle nose pliers tight. It will not slip. I don't serve it, or use anything else on it. It will stay in place if tied and set right.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: The Rev

First of all, I don't use that heavy stringloop material everyone else uses. I use 500 pound parachute cord. It's very small diameter and use only enough to fit your arrow nocked and release. Make sure it's tight, open with a needle nose pliers tight. It will not slip. I don't serve it, or use anything else on it. It will stay in place if tied and set right.
I do the same with mine, and haven't had any problems. Tightening with pliers is the key to this opeartion. I've never needed to serve it in either.

Quick Reply: Does it matter if....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.