Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Arrow Drop question >

Arrow Drop question

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow Drop question

Old 08-22-2007, 10:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default Arrow Drop question

My bow is sighted for 10 and 20 yards, and I was gonna start practicing for 30 and 40 yards, and was wondering how much Drop I should expect?

It's pretty thick woods/brush behind the stop and don't want to find out the drop the hard way.

Also, how far out do most people shoot?
Old 08-22-2007, 10:24 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Arrow Drop question

Over decades of bowhunting, I never shoot over 30 yards, and in the last 5 years really limit myself to 25 yards and under.

Using your 30 yard pin, assuming you have a fast bow, most can hit the vitals at 40 yards with the 30 yard pin right at the back.

But I know I wouldn't shoot 40 yards unless I was sure I could hit.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

How much are you pulling? I shoot my bow out to 80 yards then it makes 30 yards seems so easy.

Die Hard

24 Days!
Old 08-22-2007, 10:45 AM

Theres alot goes in to answering that question. You have to look at several things like how fast your bow is shooting, arrow weight and size, type of broadhead, and basically how your bow is set up. It's best for you to figure this out by just shooting your bow with the way you want it set up and using your choice of arrows at different yrd's. Hopefully you have a shooting range near by and if not wallyworld sells bag targets for about $25. Also, most hunters I know dont use a 10 yrd pin. They usually set there first pin at 20 yds. Most of the time anything inside 20 yds is very close, but....again, that depends on the speed of your bow. Just always remember,when your setting your pin's for longer distances if your uncomfortable where your arrow is going to hit,start out 2 -3 yds farther than your last pin setting and work your way back to the next pin setting your trying to set. That might keep you from messing up a costly arrow. Hope that helped.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:54 AM

Oh......and I agree with bigcountry on several things he said. In my opinion your 30 yrd pin is probally your most important pin the highest percent of the time. But me.....If i had a clear shot I wouldnt hesitate taking a shot at 60 yds because for some reason I shoot better groups at 50 and 60 than I do at 30 and 40. I'm just weird that way I guess.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Only way to know for sure is to give it a try. Set your 20 pin right on top of the target at 30 yards and let fly. Then eyeball the distance between your 20 pin and where the arrow hit. Once you get that in your mind, you can set the 30 pin fairly close to where it needs to be. Setting it from there should be a snap.

I would suggest doing away with the 10 yard pin though. Just use your 20 pin and make allowance for closer shots.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:22 AM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Only way to know for sure is to give it a try. Set your 20 pin right on top of the target at 30 yards and let fly. Then eyeball the distance between your 20 pin and where the arrow hit. Once you get that in your mind, you can set the 30 pin fairly close to where it needs to be. Setting it from there should be a snap.

I would suggest doing away with the 10 yard pin though. Just use your 20 pin and make allowance for closer shots.
Excactly!
Old 08-22-2007, 11:26 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Fred Bear Element set at 62 #'s, shooting carbon arrows with 100 grain field points for practice, then plan on using Cabelas fixed blades.

I am using the same pin for 10 and 20 yards.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am using the same pin for 10 and 20 yards.
Good on ya! You had me thinking you had both a 10 pin and 20 pin.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:39 PM

I find to many pins cause indecesion.
1 Tritium pin set to 15 yrds, couple inches high at 25 (my max), a couple low at 5.
You get the idea.
The KISS method

Quick Reply: Arrow Drop question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.