Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

peep or no peep

Old 08-20-2007, 09:15 PM
Spike

Default peep or no peep

Getting ready for hunting season and i have a question. Trying to decideit i should shoot without a peep this year because last year with the peep it cut shooting time before sunset alot. How much does it affect accuracy and is it worth it.

If you go without a peep what is the best way to do it.

Thanks
Old 08-20-2007, 09:20 PM
Spike

Default RE: peep or no peep

I use to shoot without a peep and just a kisser button. I wised up and got a peep and willnot shoot without it. Different sizes are available. Go with a larger peep. I was worried about the same thing when i switched. Since Ive been using the peep and feel confident with iton (accept for problem i am having now as posted) ill sacrifice that over a couple more minutes in the woods.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

3/16" to 1/4" peep and good fiber optics. Low light, no problem.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't used a peep in about 5 years now. I switched to the Timberline No-Peep. Has worked out great for me.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:19 AM

No question, a peep will allow you to be more accurate - but it's advantage is very, very small for a prepared hunter. A guy shooting paper in a tournament will take every advantage he can get. I'll do the same when hunting, and that means not using a peep. A 1/2" "flyer" is still a dead deer. On the plus side, nothing obsures my view of the animal, nothing to cut down on the light entering my eye, and nothing stuck to the string that could have a problem.

Peeps are prone to turning at inopportune times, clogging with dirt, water or ice. They can move, break or any number of things that can't happen if they aren't there. Without a peep, I can anchor and shooter faster - much faster. Small windows of opportunity don't get by me. I'll bet the average peep shooter takes 3-4 times as much time to get a shot off, as I do.

It takes practice, but you can learn to shoot without one and be good enough that no one will notice by looking at your groups. Once you learn to shoot good without it, every advantage goes to the hunter not using one.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Shooting without a peep? Uh, sorry... I can't do that. I have never shot without one. A simple 3-way Shurz-a-peep and serving is all I need. I'm not a fan of the rubber tube mount peeps though....

Butch A.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

well, being that the season is closing in fast, i wouldnt touch a thing. thats just me...i dont like to change anything this close to the season. now its all about putting that arrow where i want everytime i let loose. to me, this isnt the time to make any changes. bowshops are getting really busy...could turn something simple like adding a peep to a couple day wait...
Old 08-21-2007, 07:14 AM
Fork Horn

I also use timberlines "NO Peep". It is awesome for lowlight conditions. It also really opens up your field of view. Its kind of a pain in the butt to set up, but once you get it there its worth it.

Tom
Old 08-21-2007, 07:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

well, being that the season is closing in fast, i wouldnt touch a thing. thats just me...i dont like to change anything this close to the season.
Agreed, BUT... If the setup isn't practical for the hunting you do, it's best to go ahead and make any SMALL changes that will help. It's definitely w-a-y too late to be trying to get accustomed to something like the NoPeep or learning to do without a peep altogether.

At this point, I still maintain the easiest remedy which will cause the least disruption is simply changing to a larger diameter peep. Get an accurate measurement of where the peep is located in the string, pop it out and slap in the new one. As long as the current peep is correctly placed, there shouldn't be any difference whatsoever.... Except for a much better view in low light.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:39 AM
Spike

I've never used a peep, but I put one on last week and I can tell you that I am shooting the best groups I have ever shot. Having said that I have not used it in low light conditions yet. If low light is a major issue duringthe seasonI have a back up bow without a peep.

Quick Reply: peep or no peep

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.