Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Range Finders

Old 08-19-2007, 09:14 AM
Spike

Default Range Finders

Just starting out this year as a new bow hunter. Been practicing alot but have heard I shoud invest in a range finder. Any suggestions on type, brand, etc. I have seen many out there but not sure what is the best for me. Don't want to go broke on one but don't want it towork properly also...
Old 08-19-2007, 09:39 AM

Default RE: Range Finders

I would go with a NIKON "IMO" I just bought a Nikon Monarch 800 Realtree it was like $379 from Cabelas, and BPS but I bought it off a E-bay store for $295 guy had like 15 of them. But if I didnt get a such good deal I was going to buy the Nikon Prostaff 440. I looked through both of these before making my decision, bot are very small in size and very light.. There are other brands to go with that are just as good but for the $$$$go with the prostaff 440.... Also where are you fromin MD I gre up there all my life now live on the MD, WV,VA line in WV, but travelto MD everyday for work...
Old 08-19-2007, 01:34 PM
Spike

Thanks for the info... We are closer than you think if you are in Harpers Ferry, I'm just across the line in Jefferson. I used to come over there alot also, my Father and Step Mother lived in Harpers Ferry for years...
Old 08-19-2007, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a Nikon 400, which runs about $200. It's always worked great for me. Since it ranges out to 400+ yards, it covers me forgun hunting as well.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:42 PM

I work right down the road from there. I am a auto painer at Dan's Autobody, about a mile from Butterfly Lane. I Bought my Ten Point Pro Elite and my Bowtech Guardian from Jefferson Archery. If there is anything I can help you with just let me know....
Old 08-19-2007, 05:03 PM
Spike

FowlBuck, what a small world!!! I to have been in the Jefferson Archery shop and they were great in helping me get set up. As far as Dan's auto body, I know and volunteer at the Jefferson Fire Department with your Boss Brianand his wife Natalia. Myred F150 was just in there a few months ago having a new mirror installed I had broken off. I actually live about a mile from theArchery shop, and grew up on Butterfly Ln. before moving to Jefferson.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:35 PM

LOL thats funny I am always messing with Natalia and Brian he is just something else....LOL what else can I say...
Old 08-19-2007, 08:18 PM

Just bought leupold RX II for 222.00 with shipping on ebay tonite. Camo in color. Reatails for 319.00 at bass pro and cabelas. Has Inclinometer, 5-750 yds. Pretty nice range finder. True balistic range , 13 different reticles.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:24 PM

sellers name is 123knorr.on ebay
Old 08-20-2007, 01:52 PM

You don't NEED a range finder, but they sure are fun and handy to have. I highly doubt you will have time to use it when there are deer around, so most of your ranging will be done ahead of time.

I like to range a perimeter around my stand using landmarks like other trees, bushes and rocks or something as markers. I have a self imposed limit of around 25 yards. So I range things out to 25 and 30 yards. Then when a deer walks into that circle I know I can shoot, no guess work to it.

While a range finder is nice, you don't need one to accomplish this if it is a fixed stand you will hunt repeatedly. You can pace the range off just as easily in most cases and put down markers or use something available like I do. It takes a bit longer, but the homework pays off for sure.

Paul

Quick Reply: Range Finders

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.