Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Arrow choice advice.... >

Arrow choice advice....

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow choice advice....

Old 08-14-2007, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default Arrow choice advice....

I'm looking to buy a dozen new arrows for the Parker Wildfire I just bought. After shooting the six I have, three Beman ICS and three Easton Epic, I prefer Bemans. Both are 340 shafts, but the Eastons are 29" and the Beamans are 30". The Bemons tended to be better with the 100gr Thunderheads I have. I'm just looking for advice as to the set-up of the arrows...My bow is set between 60 and 63lbs and I have a 29" draw. Both arrows with broadheads were fine in the rest, draw and everything else.

These are the arrows I'm looking at.....
Beman ICS Venture
2" straight Bohning Vanes
30" length
100gr b-heads and practice tips

Would the size different between the 2" vanes on these and the 4" vanes on what I have make that much a difference and would it (potentially) be for the better or worse?

Thanks for any help!
Old 08-14-2007, 06:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Arrow choice advice....

straight vanes arent doin ya much good....go with a right offset for blazers...and offset or helical on 4"ers... if you have clearance id go with a helical if shooting 4"ers...

also...you might be kinda stiff with a 340 spine...maybe someone else can check with you...the longer legnth helps, but with that draw weight, 400s may work best...
Old 08-14-2007, 06:37 PM

I shoot blazers with helical and they work great. People don't really know what their talking aboutwhen they say that you cannot fletch blazers with helical.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:06 PM
Typical Buck

I should have also added that I have a WB rest that's eating up the 4" fletching on the arrows I have.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

redneck....i didnt mean blazers cant be done with a helical...they surely can...my last dozen were done with a helical...this dozen i just got done is done with a right offset....i dont know which i like better...both seem to do the job...i just know anything is better than straight.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:11 AM

Your 100 grain head seems very light for a shaft that stiff. You don't say what your draw length is (critical info), but unless your a 31-32" draw length, a .340 arrow is problably too stiff for optimal broadhead flight.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:58 AM

ORIGINAL: mauser06

redneck....i didnt mean blazers cant be done with a helical...they surely can...my last dozen were done with a helical...this dozen i just got done is done with a right offset....i dont know which i like better...both seem to do the job...i just know anything is better than straight.
Sorry, but I wasn't aiming it at you. I just don't understand why people say that they can't be fletched with helical. I just wanted to let Beezer know that he has the option of doing it either way.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:10 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the info guys. My draw length is 29". I based the arrow spine according to selection charts. I was curious about the tip weight but that's what was recommended from the shop I bought my original arrows from. At the time I was using a 66lb draw weight. The Parker I have now is set at the low end because I'm switching from a rh to a lh bow and my left arm is the weaker of the two. I throw righty but I'm left eye dominant. The switch was because I knew it would be harder to switch later when bad habits have already set in. The draw will be increased to around 65lbs because I know keeping the bow at the bottom end isn't taking advantage of it's full potential. I have no intention of going to 70lbs as I don't think it's necessary to hunt deer and turkey.

Mentioning broadheads, my grouping was better with the BHs than it has been with fieldpoints. Seems strange, but the BHs grouped within 4" at about 24yds. The fieldpoints grouped wider, sometimes 6" or more, and always seemed to have at least one errant shot.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like the beman ics hunter *elites* shaftin black. Good value. I see that Cabela's has their own shaft already made up for less in a micro smooth finish with the same specsfor less. Got to try them. Around 60 bucks.