Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Comparing new bows >

Comparing new bows

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Comparing new bows

Old 08-09-2007, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Comparing new bows

When you are buying new bows, what kind of things do you look for that help you decide?
Old 08-09-2007, 09:36 PM

Default RE: Comparing new bows

Step oneI look for feedback from others as to what they have, how they like it and what they do not like. Step twofigure out your price range. Step three is to take a list of a few bows you gleam from step one and shoot them. Stepfour is to figure out what are the pluses and minuses of each you shot, for you and narrow down you list to a couple you like. Step five is to shoot the couple that you like and then pick one you want to buy.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:51 PM

You forgot step 6. Beg and plead with the wife to let you buy another Bow.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:08 AM

I like to shoot bows with my eyes closed. I shoot several bows I am interested in, even a few I'm not interested in. Then I shoot them with my eyes closed paying close attention to how they feel in my hand, how they draw and how they feel during and after the shot.

I also compare how fast they shoot different weight arrows and how they are designed, but mostly go by how they "feel" in my hand and how much they appeal to me aesthetically. Since I am poor price is big factor for me as well. Most of the bows the guys on here shoot are simply out of my reach. I can't afford to spend close to a grand on a bare bow, just isn't happening.

The key is to shoot lots of different bows. This is why I could never order a bow from the internet. When I got my last bow I was pretty set on getting a hoyt for around 400 bucks (I forget the name, magnatec maybe?) then just for the heck of it I shot a Mighty Might by Bowtech. That bow just "felt" right in my hands. It was a hundred bucks more than I wanted to spend, but I got it anyway because I liked it that much. I really wanted a cybertec, but they quit making them by the time I could afford one[&o].

You never know unless you shoot them. And they need to be set up to your specifications as well. Bows shoot completely different with different set ups, or if they don't fit you. I have shot bows that I though sucked, but they were a bit too long and had a bit much draw weight for my taste. The same bow set up to fit me properly was a dream to shoot. It really does make a difference.

Paul