Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 I hate doing this. . . >

I hate doing this. . .

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

I hate doing this. . .

Old 08-01-2007, 06:40 PM

Default I hate doing this. . .

From the title, you have to know I hate asking a question that leaves alot up to personal preference. . .but I just need a few opinions:

I am currently shooting an '06 Trykon (29", 62 lbs.) and really have thought things over when it comes to hunting arrows. In the past I have traditionally shot light arrows. I am thinking I want to push the grain weight up for hunting this year. Along with heavier arrows, I want to put FOC % somewhere around 12-15.

For this, I am willing to bump my BH grain weight to 125 +, shoot a little stiffer spined arrow, cut longer than what I am currently shooting.

This endeavor has me torn between two arrow choices, the 340 spined Easton FMJ's or the 3-60 Easton A/C/C's. Heck, I would even consider the Gold Tip 7555.

I hate throwing this out there, but what should I go with to optimize what I want out of my arrow?

Vanes will most likely be 2" Blazers or Feathers, I will most likely have a wrap on the back as well. Nocks will be standard issue for whatever arrow I shoot.

Any help will be appreciated.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I hate doing this. . .

Try the goldtip CAA. They are a carbon/aluminum very very similar to the ACC with the same tolerances, better components, and $30 cheaper per dozen. They are new, but I have 3x dozen now and love mine. All weighed in at under 1 grain tolerance and all spun perfectly. Add in the fact that you can add weight to the back of the insert to get perfect spine and they are much more tunable now than anything else out there in this class. They come in the same spine deflections as ACC's from 3-28 to 3-71. I am shooting 350's which are comparable to the 3-60's you were thinking of and they weigh in at 433 grains with a wrap and 3x blazers with pin nocks, inserts, and 100 grain points.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:15 PM

RJ, do you know your FOC off hand with those?

And what length are they cut to?

I might try to get a 125 grain head to work, since I would be extremely overspined with 100 grain tips.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bols

RJ, do you know your FOC off hand with those?

And what length are they cut to?

I might try to get a 125 grain head to work, since I would be extremely overspined with 100 grain tips.
Let me know what your setup is and I will run it through OnTarget 2. I need your exact arrow length, whether there is a wrap or not, and this should be it.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:21 PM

I glad you posted this Dave. I have also been thinking of upgrading my arrows this year to a stiffer spine. I am slightly underspined with the 55/75 GT's. Those Goldtp CAA's sound good. Might have to look into those.

BTW: What did you ever find out about your injury? My appointment to the orthorpedic is tomorrow to have my shoulder checked out.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

My suggestion to get what you are looking for is to crank the bow up to 64lbs and not use a wrap. The wrap will kill what you are looking to do with FOC.

At 64lbs, with a 29.5" CAA 350 shaft, with 125 grain heads, no wrap (throws spine and FOC off), blazers, standard pin nocks that come with it, and assuming you have the 80% letoff zephyr cam......

You would end up with 11.32% FOC, with a 464 grain arrow going about 269fps. OnTarget2 lists the spine as just about perfect here too.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:48 PM

Duc, glad it helped someone else out besides myself. I really hate asking others to do my "dirty work". . .but I needed a little counsel. The arm is doing okay. . .I still know it would hurt to draw back my bow. . .so I don't even try. It is killing me to wait around. . .I really hope I can start to work it out sometime next week, then a few weeks later, start drawing my bow.

Matt, thanks a bunch. I appreciate you running this through OT2.

'06 Trykon
29", 62 lbs.
G5 Meta peep on the string 1/4" I believe, that should be all since I am using an STS at the current moment.
Arrow length: 29" (can be adjusted if necessary, nothing less than 28")
Tip weight: 125 + (In that ballpark)
Out back: CAA nocking system (whatever that may be), wrap, and Blazers for the time being (the only other vanes I would try out would be short feathers or the 2" Quickspin ST Hunters)

Do you need anything else?

Old 08-01-2007, 07:51 PM

Sorry, didn't refresh in time. . .

Old 08-01-2007, 07:56 PM

Well, hopefully you heal up in time for season. Just take it easy in the mean time.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:23 PM

Thanks Duc, hope everything goes well for you.

RJ, I sent you a PM. I appreciate the help!

Quick Reply: I hate doing this. . .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.