Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 fixed v. mechanical >

fixed v. mechanical

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

fixed v. mechanical

Old 07-30-2007, 04:53 PM

Default fixed v. mechanical

I have used mechanicals (never shot at a deer with them though), and am not a true believer yet. Are there ANY fixed broadheads that fly like (or even very close) to a field tip? I hate the mechanicals that have rubber bands, and would love to hear if anyone has anything to say about the jackhamer type mechanicals.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:57 PM

Default RE: fixed v. mechanical

I have never used mechanicals but apparently Rage is the way to go. They have either a 3 blade or 2 blade and use no rubber bands.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:03 PM

I am trying to get away from mechanicals, though. I KNOW a fixed blade is open on impact - there is always that doubt with mechanicals. I am trying to find a hard hitting fixed blade that flys the same as a field tip. re-sighting the bow in is a pain.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:31 PM

Fixed blades don't open. Hence the name FIXED BLADE. I use muzzy's and really like them. They fly good for me and the replaceble blades are sharp. If memory serves, I read somewhere that a lot of people like the G5 Montecs because they are very strong and fly as field points, but they do not come very sharp and you have to buy the G5 sharpening stone to get them really sharp. Plus they are very expensive.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jclotzman

I am trying to get away from mechanicals, though. I KNOW a fixed blade is open on impact - there is always that doubt with mechanicals. I am trying to find a hard hitting fixed blade that flys the same as a field tip. re-sighting the bow in is a pain.
The most accurate, small profile head I've found are the Slick Tricks and the Wac 'Ems.

If it's an awesome mech b-head you're looking for, I'd seriously suggest taking a look at the Rocket Steelhead. I'll put this b-head up against ANY other in the industry.

Good luck and good shootin'
Old 07-30-2007, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

A good tuned bow should fling an arrow the same regardles of the head I shoot the G5 Montecs and love them
Old 07-31-2007, 03:54 AM

All fixed blade broadheads, that are on straight, fly like field tips if the the bow is tuned, the arrow is tuned and the wind isn't blowing too hard. The more weight up front, the more it will resist planing. All this is more critical with larger heads that have more surface area.

Those who use mechanicals because they can't get a fixed blade to fly straight, are putting a bandaid on a problem. Out of tune arrows with mechanicals on them, don't penetrate very well. It's best to learn how to tune your arrow, your bow and then you can use either with more confidence.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

straitarrow hit the naiol on the head.

cornfed,I'll take that steelhead challenge.In my opinion,they're one of the worst broadhead designs of all time.They aoofer no advantage over a quality fixed head what so ever.They have a small cutting diameter.They have dull blades that become even more dull over time because they rub the inside of the ferule.They don't have enough threads to screw in to the insert.They have weak blades that are a pain to replace.I used them for two seasons just to see what all the hype was about.I killed several deer with themand broke blades on every single animal.Two of those instances where the worst tracking jobs I ever encountered.I've also had similar durability issues with other mechanicals.

I've killed a bunch of deer with muzzy's,wasps and 15 deer with slick tricks.last year I killed a 10 point,two doe and a gobbler with the same slick trick.All the animals went down within sight and allI had to do was touch up the blades.I'll put any one of those broadeheads up against a steelhead any day of the week,especially a slicktrick.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:17 AM
Fork Horn

Have you tried the new Rage BH?
Old 07-31-2007, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

As a couple of guys mentioned above, IF your arrows won't shoot fixed blade broadheads very near your field points, then there is an under lying problem that needs addressed. Could be a simple thing like your broadheads aren't square with the arrow. Simple fix is to square your arrows before inserting the inserts. Might be your over spined or under spined. Could be many things with your bow, most can be fixed without spending a dime, and if you don't know what to look for, take a trip to the local pro-shop and most places will help you get fixed up for nothing!
To use mech. heads to fix the issue really is NOT the way to go.

Quick Reply: fixed v. mechanical

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.