Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Arrow weight question? >

Arrow weight question?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow weight question?

Old 12-31-2002, 11:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Arrow weight question?

Okay here is my first question for the techies, below is my original post, through a link provided I found out I should probably be shooting 2216's instead of the 2016's I am shooting, how big of a difference in KE and arrow performance will I see between the two?

Okay my bow is set for 70 pounds, the IBO is 297 fps, my draw length is 28 inches, I have a single cam compound, what size arrow should I be shooting for hunting?

Right now I am shooting Easton 2016 with 100 grain broadheads, they shoot very well, if this is the theoretical wrong size how big of a difference will a different size arrow make?

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 12-31-2002, 02:40 PM

Default RE: Arrow weight question?

Actually the 2016 if absolutely off the charts weak. The 2216 is even weak on the spine graph in my program....it shows yellow green weak.

a better match based on your setup appears to be a 2315. Shows perfect spine. Also the same weight as the 2216.

As far as KE goes it won't change unless you change the powerstroke (draw length) or the poundage of the draw weight. This debate has been pounded to death so I won't go into the physics of why, a quick search here should find all you ever wanted to know about the topic.

The performance I would have to guess would be night and day with how underspined you currently are. Shooting a propererly spined arrow will be FAR more forgiving for accuracy and durability.

Happy Shooting!

>>>------Tony Virnoche------>>>
>>>---The Archery Program--->>>
Old 01-01-2003, 09:24 AM

Taz, I don't know if you are familiar with the Bow Jackson's Archery and Hunting page...it has a lot of programs and charts that may help you.

http://home.att.net/~sajackson/archery.html

Old 01-02-2003, 05:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

TheArcheryProgram when you speak "spine" is this the stiffness of the shaft?

Litework, nice site, it backed up what TheArcheryProgram said about the 2315.

Founder and President of
Old 01-02-2003, 08:06 PM

Taz-

The spine of the arrow refers to its bend with a 1.94 pound weight supported between posts that are 28" apart.

This defelction is known as the arrows spine. This number directly correlates to the weight load that can be delivered to it. The ideal weight load is found is found by dividing 26/deflection. An example would be a 2315 with a spine of .342 inches. The 'ideal' poundage bow would be 26/.342 or 76 pounds.

Now don't just take your draw weight because that isn't the poundage the arrow will see. Things such as Cam type, release type, string material, draw length, arrow length, tip weight etc,etc, all either add or subtract from your bows actual poundage to arrive at an adjusted bow weight. This is the weight the arrow will see.

I have spent years perfecting the shaft selection portion of my program where I am confident that it will select shafts based on your particular bow better than ANYTHING else on the market.

I hope I have answered your question.

Happy Shooting!

Get with the Program!
>>>------Tony Virnoche------>>>
>>>---The Archery Program--->>>
Old 01-03-2003, 06:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks Tony!

Founder and President of