Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

carbon arrows

Old 07-29-2007, 06:40 PM

Default carbon arrows

I shoot aluminum arrows and have been thinking about going to carbons when I get my new bow. Are carbons that much better? If so, why?

Thanks
Old 07-29-2007, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: carbon arrows

Quality carbon arrows are more durable, recover quicker out of the bow and tend to penetrate better if your shooting the smaller diameter ones. Personaly I think carbon arrows do everything alluminum ones can do but can do it better. The only thing with carbon you have to watch for is splintering or the shaft cracking, no big deal just flex the shaft before you shoot and nothing to worry about.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man, there just aren't any disadvantages to a quality carbon. I prefer carbons from Carbon Express. An arrow for you to seriously consider may be the CX Maxima Hunters, they would be closer to the weight of your alums and are extrmely tough! A great consistent arrow that seems to be impressing everyone that shoots 'em.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only bad thing I've heard about carbons is about the ones with the camo. You can get a crack underneath and never know it.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

The key word you've been seeing is 'quality.' It costs a lot to get quality carbons. And even then they can't match even a Gamegetter II in consistency. Average bowhunter though... They'd never be able to tell the difference between the two as far as consistency goes.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:05 AM

Why would the aluminum Gamegetter II be better for consistancy than todays high priced carbons?
Old 07-31-2007, 04:31 AM

ORIGINAL: Redneck Bowhunter

Why would the aluminum Gamegetter II be better for consistancy than todays high priced carbons?
The straightness and spine consistency of even cheap aluminums is pretty amazing. It takes one heck of good carbon arrow to even come close. I can't give you the technical reason, but the properties of aluminum just allow them to manufacture it to higher tolerances.

There are some advantages to carbon, which is why I usually choose them over aluminums. A person just should be aware that there can be significant differences in consistency with some brands or models of carbons.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:48 AM

I too switched to carbon arrows a couple of years ago since it was what everyone else was using. I thought I wanted to gain more speed so that I would have less distance between my sight pins. I am started to reconsider my switch and may switch back to aluminum. Check this out:

http://www.eastonarchery.com/article...umaremyfav.asp

Old 07-31-2007, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sure I'm going to catch flack for what I'm about to say but here goes...

I shot aluminum arrows from the time I was 8 until this year (i'm 36 now)andI thinkaluminum are great and would recommend that if people want to shoot them they won't be dissapointed. However, I've found thatI can shoot carbon just as well as I did the aluminum and have confidence at ranges well past where I would probably take a shot at an animal.

Reading that article is whereI have some problems with a person that makes comments like he does. Even one as well known andas respected as Chuck.

To say that a person using carbon arrows wouldn't have confidence at 40 yds with a broadhead jsut isn't true. Just because he doesn't have confidence doesn't make the product garbage. I practiced yesterday at 40 yds and was very confident that if presented with a shot at 40 yds I'd take it under the right conditions.

Also, the story about the guys in camp seems to be refering to weekend warriors who probably never shot their broadheads before showing up at camp. Any archer that shoots a lot would make sure that everything is working great before going on a trip like that. I wouldn't let an article discourage you from using what you want. I'd feel the same way if he was promoting carbon and talking down on aluminum.

Yes, carbon takes more work in general to get right in the beginning. You cut both ends, spin and cut again and even with that you probably end up with a few that you consider good only for target.To me that's not a big deal and I can get arrows that are pretty straight. However with aluminum you have to check the shaft all the time to ensure it is still straight. Sure, you can straighten them out. But are they ever as straight as they were from the factory?

Chuck's biggest problem seemed to deal with arrow speed more than carbon itself. He talks about the light fast carbon arrows zipping all over the place. There are carbon arrows that weigh the same or more than many aluminum arrows if you want the weight.I have some carbon arrows that weight 530 grains. At 12.2 gpi it's on par with an aluminum. People do not just choose carbon because of the arrow weight.

The only carbon that he doesrecommend of course are the ST series from Easton.

The bottom line is that it's your choice what you shoot and you have to be confident in your equipment. just don't let 1 article have that big of an impact on that decision.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

In responce to Arthur.

Lets see, Goldtip pro hunter has a +/-.001 straightness and +/-1grain per dozen. I got a dozen for about $85 Im not sure what the tolerances of alluminumes are but I very highly doubt that they are tighter.

Quick Reply: carbon arrows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.