Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

arror grouping

Old 07-22-2007, 11:34 PM
Fork Horn

Default arror grouping

Hey all I was wondering I am shooting a huge grouping at 30-35 yrds verses a very tight one at 20-25 ?? wrong arrows ? is that normal?
Thanks for any and all info
Old 07-23-2007, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: arror grouping

ORIGINAL: CTJohnB

Hey all I was wondering I am shooting a huge grouping at 30-35 yrds verses a very tight one at 20-25 ?? wrong arrows ? is that normal?
I've been told that you're doing good if for every 10 yds your groups increase by 1". So, if you're hitting 2" groups @ 20 yds, 3" @ 30 yds, 4" @ 40 yds and so on. Could be wrong arrows. If grouping all right or all left could be center shot is not correct. If grouping all high or all low could be nocking point. Could be just practice, practice, and more practice. And the list goes on....
Old 07-23-2007, 08:46 PM

have you ever tryed topaper tune your bow you might be getting a wicked kick and just dont realise it or if your haveing fletch clearence problems
Old 07-24-2007, 12:16 AM

Usually this is an eyesight or pin blur problem. Is the sight picture, pin and target crystal clear at 30yds?

Could also be some torquing issues at the grip that are showing up...or maybe the deathgrip on the bow leading to steering the arrows at that distance.

Archery is a self fullfilling prophecy if one ever existed. In other words if you assume you will shoot a wide group at 30yds....you will!
Old 07-24-2007, 05:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Always aim at the center of the center of the smallest thing you can see. The smaller the aim point, the more focused you'll be and the smaller your groups should be. Remember the old adage, "AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL."

It might help to get some of those little orange sticky dots to put in the middle of your target.

Then don't let the thought get into your head that you're shooting groups. A group is made up of individual arrows, so mentally focus on each individual arrow as you shoot. If the one before didn't hit where you wanted, forget it. It's history and there's nothing you can do about it. The only arrow that matters is the one on your bow right now!

Old 07-24-2007, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

Thank you for the info, I tunned my bow today and it was off, how ever after tunning it I was shooting pretty good but then I had to run out and came back and shot again and my arrows placed different??????? do I just lack focus or does this bow totally suck, because when I shoot my brothers bow I always shoot a grouping the size of a 1/2 dollar up to 35 yrds and with this other one I got used I cannot seem to maintain a consistant grouping everytime and it seems to drift ??? and I cannot get a grouping like my brothers unless I am shooting 15-20 yrds or less? I usually practice upto 40rds Not to mention every so often I get a wild arrow that totally misses the target? HELP PLEASE
John
Old 07-24-2007, 06:26 PM

I had similar problem i could shoot great out to 25 yards but could not hit at 30 . I discoverd it was my follow through after the shot . I use a wb rest so it is more important to have a good follow through since the arrow is in contact with the rest for a longer period if time. if you drop your hand after the shot or torque it a little your shot will be affected and mor noticable at longer distances
Old 07-24-2007, 08:09 PM

Consistency, consistency, consistency!Make a point of holding that bow perfectly still first, thenput the pin on thetarget. Versus trying to keep the pin on the bullseye. You'll always be chasing it w/your pin.Another thought is that I have a very bad habit of wanting to "watch" the arrow's flight. When that happens, my patterns open up.That may be the cause. I agree w/ArthurP, aim small, hit small. I do exactly what he said & use an orange dot for my target. Doesn't matter if its 20, 40 or 50yds, same orange target. Forces me to concentrate more on the target. Try concentrating first on holding the bow still & then aiming. C what happens. Let us know.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CTJohnB

"Is this normal?".... from the average archer that I've observed I'd have to say yes. Honestly, in my opinion, the average archer has NO buisness shooting at a deer past 30 yards. I believe that many feel like 30, 40 and even 50 yarders should be easier based on the BS they read here on the forums and in magazines.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:34 PM

I don't know about you, but I practice at 40 and 50 yards to get tighter groups at 20 and 30. The longer distances make my form inconsistencies much more apparent. Just started doing this a couple years ago, and what a difference!!!

Quick Reply: arror grouping

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.