Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Should I be shooting 125grain broadheads? >

Should I be shooting 125grain broadheads?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Should I be shooting 125grain broadheads?

Old 07-22-2007, 11:11 AM
Typical Buck

Default Should I be shooting 125grain broadheads?

I am sure many of you are sick of me asking so many questions about my arrows. But I just ran my setup through OnTarget2 and now it says I am way too stiff spined.

I am shooting an 06 Switchback XT with a 29" Draw Length. Set at 70 Pounds.
I have a string loop, nock, peep and 2 rubber silencers on the strings...thinking about not putting the silencers back on when I get my string from Gibblet. (I am actually pretty positive that I am not going to...)

For arrows I am running 28.5" Gold Tip 7595. with 100 grain tips as of now. I haven't bought my broadheads this year yet. I am going to be shooting the Rage 2 Blades. Just wondering if I should buy 125 grain field points for tuning everything in.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:12 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Should I be shooting 125grain broadheads?

I am also using blazer vanes with a blazer wrap which weighs 5 grains

Just noticed that it makes a difference if you choose just hunting over target...oops. Still wondering which would be best. I guess it wouldn't hurt to pack a little more punch with the 125 would it?
Old 07-22-2007, 11:48 AM
Typical Buck

well, strangely enough, I'm shooting easton axxis arrows with 400 spine and I have 125 gr fieldpoints, my vanes are smaller than the blazers.
My hunting arrows are 400 spine and by mistake the guy at my shop ordered muzzy's 100 gr and blazers. I shot the blazer arrows with fieldpoints and muzzy's and they have the same trajectory.
So, I'm sticking with the 100 gr's

Frank
Old 07-22-2007, 11:56 AM

Holy smokes...we are the same setup except for the string silencers.

I switched from 100gr to 125gr to fix my spine problem. It was well worth the time, effort and some cash. By fixing the spine, you will also gain some good KE.

I recommend at a bare minimum to purchase 125 gr field tips and try them vs. the 100 gr field tips.

Best of luck!
Old 07-22-2007, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 100 gr heads, and lighter, seem to be the rage anymore. I've had people tell me to drop to a 100 gr head. Why, I get a little higher FOC and my arrow is still carrying the mail out of my Allegiance.

Josh shot some of my tips and has decided to go to 125 gr tips also.

The hard part is finding a BH that you like at that weight without having to use a 100 gr with a weight to it. Muzzy does not make 125 gr MX series. [:@]

However, you have some good choices.
slicktricks
Wac'em Triton XL
NAP Crossfire
etc.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:18 PM
Typical Buck

haha, MDBUCKHUNTER I have noticed before that we have the exact same setup too. are you shooting gibblets strings? I am going to be ordering them this week sometime. Does Rage make a 125 grain broadhead?
Old 07-23-2007, 01:05 AM
Typical Buck

Josh ? what's wrong then with your spine ? you seem to be a stand-up kinda guy !!!

I'm gonna shoot these 100gr muzzy's till they fall apart and then I'll try and get some 125gr'....
Did you guys try and take a look at the white vanes I'm using for practice, they fly as good ( I dare say better ) as my blazers ( with the fieldpoints )

Frank
Old 07-23-2007, 05:38 AM

ORIGINAL: Buck_Slayer

haha, MDBUCKHUNTER I have noticed before that we have the exact same setup too. are you shooting gibblets strings? I am going to be ordering them this week sometime. Does Rage make a 125 grain broadhead?
Right now I have the original Zebra strings on the SBXT. This is the last year they will be on. Then I am toying with getting a WC string and cables. I hear that Gibblet makes excellent strings/cables. I won't know until next year.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:39 AM

ORIGINAL: m9a9g9i9c

Josh ? what's wrong then with your spine ? you seem to be a stand-up kinda guy !!!

Frank
You're funny Frank. lol Nothing that a few surgery's can't fix!
Old 07-23-2007, 11:09 AM
Typical Buck

I'm funny untill I draw my bow, then I'm dead serious....

F.

Quick Reply: Should I be shooting 125grain broadheads?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.