Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Bowtech Speed nocks >

Bowtech Speed nocks

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Bowtech Speed nocks

Old 07-17-2007, 11:45 AM
bigcountry

Default Bowtech Speed nocks

I just replaced my string and cable on my 04 bowtech liberty VFT. I didn't have the speed nocks reinstalled. Instead of the Bowtech string with hush kit and speed nocks, I just had a plain old winners choice with string leeches. Has anyone did a test to see what the speed was before and after? Or with and without speed nocks.

I am almost maxed out at 70lbs and shooting a 436gr arrow 255fps with a 29" draw.

Before the string was replaced I was shooting a 460gr arrow 248fps at 66lbs. So I am kinda thinking they did make a difference.

I know I could knock the poundage down, and get my old arrows and see what they shoot now.

But figured some bowtech experts could tell me the quick and dirty answer.

Its shooting better than ever, but also I am getting some horrible vibration noise from the string. So debating on whether to try toput the hush kit and speed nocks on.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bowtech Speed nocks

Big:

Those string leeches weigh 25gr each! Thats a whole lot of extra weight on your string! I'm not sure what those speed nocks go weight wise, but its probably about the same as the brass nocks.

Here is what I would try.

First, I think that most BTs, if not all, have a rear mounted stabilizer hole. So get MeanV2 to make you a CSS... money very well spent. That will take care of the need for string leeches, which of course, slow you down a lot.

Next, if you are using brass nock points, scrap 'em. Greg/MO did a thread not long ago on tying your own nock sets. I'm sure you probably know how to do that already, but just incase, its a good reference.

Additionally, I have noticed that sometimes adding weight in certain places on the string can make a bow faster. This is the only thing I use brass nock points for. Try putting one or two brass nocks on the string right where the serving ends/starts on the top and the bottom. You have to experiment a fair bit, but sooner or later you should hit a sweet spot, and that will maximise your speed.

Just a few thoughts to try out. Good luck.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:04 PM

the speed nocks (brass nocks w/ the red rubber inside covered in shrink wrap) will add a few fps. the big thing they do is cut down on that string oscillation buzz. makes a huge difference.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:10 PM

When I replaced my BowTech's string I replaced the "speed nocks" with two brass nock points covered with heat shrink tubing in the same spot as the original ones. I never did play with it through the chrony so I'll be interested to see if anyone else has too. Maybe if I get bored sometime in the near future I'll break out the chrony and give it a try, if I do I'll let you know.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:10 PM
bigcountry

Ok, so a quick and easy way to do this, might be to install a few brass nocks 4.5" from the limbs and see what happens when i chrono?

Yes, I have the string buzz bad without. I would rather lose fps at this point.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:06 AM

if you have a chrono the thing to do is put 1 on about where bowtech says, but maybe 1/2" lower. don't crimp it so tight it can't be moved. chrono it, move it up a bit, chrono it, move it up a bit, chrono it. find where your bow shoots fastest, and crimp it on permanently. then put one on above it - but not to tight where you can't get it off and chrono it. remove the one you just placed above and place it below - chrono it. whichever way has your bow shooting fastest - crimp it on permanent there.

you may be able to get more speed w/ custom placement than if you just put them where bowtech says - or they may end up exactly where bowtech says to put them - which i think is what happened when davec did this experiment (sorry if it wasn't you dave - i know it was somebody here).
Old 07-18-2007, 07:47 AM
bigcountry

Thanks Gibblet. I will report what I find. Can't hurt to try, and might learn something.

Old 07-22-2007, 04:03 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Bowtech Speed nocks update

Ok, here's what I found. Playing around destroying the speed nocks taking them on and off, I gained maybe 2fps. And bowtech pretty much had it nailed from the factory, when I put them where they put them, I got optimal speed. I went from 253 with 430gr total arrow wieght, to 255.6.

No big deal right? Well, I did get rid of the string buzz. Lots of work for 2fps, but I had to quieten down this bow. Still want it quieter. Willing to sacrafice speed. So installed the hush kit back on. Wished I went ahead and bought new, but I slid the old ones back on. Two on the cable and two on the string. Good news, it only dropped me to a good 255fps. Compared to the leeches.

Old 07-22-2007, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is what I found when playing with my Patriot.
Bowtech pretty much nailed where to put them.
I tried and tried, but in the end they were right.

On both my Pat & Trib with an STS they still prefer one string silencer up top for optimum noise reduction.

I'm using a bowjax on the Trib and it lasted all of last season before throwing an arm this spring. The bow jax plus one brass nock below kept the speed the same as before without the silencer.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:03 PM
bigcountry

Dave, you don't have the hush kit? So you only have one bowjax up top and one brass nock?

Quick Reply: Bowtech Speed nocks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.