Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 how do yall learn >

how do yall learn

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

how do yall learn

Old 07-07-2007, 01:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default how do yall learn

How did yall learn how to work on your bow. I want to learn how to do everything imaginable so i can service my own bow, but I am afraid I will do something wrong and burn a ton of money. Are there any solid books or videos that go over EVERYTHING when it comes to working on a bow?

How did yall learn?

Thanks
Old 07-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how do yall learn

start by downloading the tuning guide off of easton.com
Old 07-07-2007, 02:32 PM

I learned by watching technicians at various archery shops and asking them a lot of questions once I got to know them.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

The best way is to have someone take you under your wing... hang around some bow shops, offer to work part-time, etc.

There's also some good resources on the internet available in the form of forums like these, and some great tuning DVD's available for purchase. George Ryals has the best I've bought so far (www.grivtech.com), and a guy named LeEarl has a pretty popular one out for around $15 or so (you'll have to google that one).

Hang around this tech forum a bunch, and there's some fantastic technicians who visit on a regular basis who're more than willing to answer any and all questions.

I've also tried to put together some fundamental threads to help people out because I pretty much had to learn from scratch as none of my friends shoot, and we don't have the greatest techs working at our local shops in my area. Search using the terms "instructional" or "how to" and my user name and you should have some decent luck. I'll try to find some for you later if you can't...
Old 07-07-2007, 04:37 PM

I agree with Greg on the George Ryals & LeEarl videos. Both are excellent. There is also one from Lawler Outdoors that's good.

The Larry Wise books are good, but even the latest edition published this year is a little dated. He discusses the importance of shooting from the middle of the valley. I don't own a bow that has enough valley to shoot from. However, there is a lot of good basic information in Larry's books.

Reading, watching videos and techs are great, but you eventually have to get in and try something. Begin with basic stuff like center serving since you don't need a press. Then if you can get a press you can try adjusting draw length.

After you gain confidence and knowledge, you cango on toother things.

One of the important things to learn is how to press your bow. I think that LeEarls video goes into this aome, but he is not a thorough as I would have liked.Improper pressingis one of the ways that you can do serious damage to your bow.

Good luck
Allen

Old 07-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Allen and Greg make mention of some good resources. I am a big George Ryals (GRIV) fan as well. He actually has another video coming out soon as well that should be another fantastic video. His first has some good basic tuning information, but his second will have a ton of shooting information.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

No better way to learn than by diving in and doing... as long as you've got SOME mechanical aptitude and at least two functional brain cells rubbing together to make sparks. It's not rocket science, by any stretch of the imagination.

edit... I WOULD recommend your early forays into self sufficiency be performed on your backup bow, not on your primary. Don't mess with your good stuff until you've got some experience under your belt.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:31 PM

Get the LeEarl video. It will be the best $15 you will ever spend in archery.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Typical Buck

I googled the LeEarl video but I couldn't find a decent website where to order it ???
Any help getting it shipped to Belgium ?

Frank
Old 07-08-2007, 05:47 PM

http://www.fairchaseadventures.com/staytuned.html

Quick Reply: how do yall learn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.