Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

60 or 70 lb bow

Old 07-05-2007, 03:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default 60 or 70 lb bow

HEY GUYS Im in the process of buying a new commander from bowtech.I plan on a 60lb draw weight and I don't plan on shooting a heigher draw weight.I have always heard if you are going to shoot 60lbs get a 60lb bow to get the max. performance from your bow.Is this true or myth with todays bows.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 60 or 70 lb bow

It's true.

Greg (txjourneyman) had his bow with 70lb limbs backed off to 65lb then put on a set of 60's he only lost about 3fps using the same arrow but the bow was a lot quiter.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Typical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: Ausie-guy

It's true.

Greg (txjourneyman) had his bow with 70lb limbs backed off to 65lb then put on a set of 60's he only lost about 3fps using the same arrow but the bow was a lot quiter.
[ /quote] thanks ausie i think most bows will max out 1-2lbs over stated maxdraw weight, think i'll get him to order me a 60lb bow. silence is deadly!
Old 07-05-2007, 04:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Don't know if you can still do it, or not... but you used to could get manufacturers to make your bow up with "heavy" rockers to make it max out a bit higher... Worth checking into.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:13 AM

Personally, I would ignore any efficiency advantage. It would be minute at best. It is always preferable to shoot the exact poundage that matches your arrows spine perfectly, rather than a number based on bow efficiency.

I always try to shoot an arrow that lies in the middle of my bow's draw weight range. This gives me some leeway to adjust poundage up or down a bit to perfectly match the arrow. If 60 lbs is the max you'll shoot, I'd recommend trying to get an arrow that will spine at 55 lbs with your draw length, arrow length and tip weight. This gives you room to go up a few pounds without exceeding your maximum draw weight.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:40 AM

The above post is pretty much what I would have said word for word.

Further more with the newer bows there really isn't a need to pull 70 lbs anymore for hunting deer.

Paul
Old 07-06-2007, 07:02 PM
Typical Buck

I think you missed what I was really asking.I'm not going to shoot over 60lbs,so my question is would the 60lb bow perform better on 60lbs than the 70lb bow backed down to 70lbs.As far as proper arrow spine I could always back down from 60lbs if needed,but I really belive with all the options of arrow weigh,spine,ect. I could find an arrow that would shoot perfectly through my bow.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: treboryerf

I think you missed what I was really asking.I'm not going to shoot over 60lbs,so my question is would the 60lb bow perform better on 60lbs than the 70lb bow backed down to 70lbs.As far as proper arrow spine I could always back down from 60lbs if needed,but I really belive with all the options of arrow weigh,spine,ect. I could find an arrow that would shoot perfectly through my bow.
Straight to the point. You should get a 60# bow. Not only is it what you should have, but it's all you need.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

Bg thats what I'm thinking,but the proshop only has it in the 70lb and I wanted to get one this weekend,think I'll just get him to order me one.THANKS GUYS.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:45 PM
bigcountry

I have seen all this to be true. You will be top performance at max weight, but for me, I like room to move. In other words, an arrow I like might be obsolete and I have to get a new set, and I have to adjust up or down poundage to get them to work. Like right now, one of my bows, has always been set to 65-66lbs. Well, I need a new set of arrows for it. I have fell in love with heavy arrows and have some 340's left that I shoot in another bow. I just so happen to be trying some 350 Cx out in that other bow. Good news, I have bumped up the poundage to 69lbs, and the 340's work great. I would pick a 60-70lb just for the future.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.