Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Maybe There is Something to This Heavy Arrow Thing >

Maybe There is Something to This Heavy Arrow Thing

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Maybe There is Something to This Heavy Arrow Thing

Old 07-02-2007, 06:41 PM

Default Maybe There is Something to This Heavy Arrow Thing

I picked up a dozen Carbon Express Terminator hunter 60/75 shafts today on sale. To my surprise, these 31" shaftsweighover 500 grains total arrow weight with 125 grain tips. I'm used to shooting arrows about 100 grains lighter and two inches shorter. Although they group well, the group is about 3" lower at 20 yards than my normal arrow.

What is interesting about these heavy shafts is how quietly the bow launches them. I have read and heard of this phenonenom, but this is the first time I seen it in an apples to apples comparison. Significant.

Also, this is the first arrow that has ever gone clear through my block target with a field point. Maybe there is something to this heavy arrow KE thing.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Maybe There is Something to This Heavy Arrow Thing

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

Maybe there is something to this heavy arrow KE thing.
Yes, there is .
Old 07-02-2007, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

If your shooting light poundage or cant get much KE you should go with a heavier arrow. I went to a bit heavier arrow this year, about 370 grains. My bow is wisper quiet and is shooting 300fps.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:35 PM
Typical Buck

ROSKOE, I"VE been shooting the terminator hunter for about 5 years.I switched to them after watching i light arrow bounce off the shoulder blade of doe at 25 yards,now i can shoot through both shoulders if i want too.heavy is the way to go!Espeicailly if you are not shooting really long distances.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:32 PM

It's all about momentum. Heavy arrows have it. Light arrows.............not near as much. KE will be similar out of the same bow. Problem is, we're not going to knock 'em down. It's apass thru I want.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:58 PM

Yea I figured this out too. I shoot a 70 lb bow and I shoot a 358 grain arrow. My father shoots a 60 lb bow and shoots an arrow that is around 490 grains. When we shoot side by side in the same target his arrow go in deeper. I feel I have plenty of penetration for deer, but when i draw an elk tag there is no doubt in my mind i will be stepping up to a heavier arrow. That being said I think the lighter the poundage the heavier a arrow must be to get enough penetration.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:15 PM

Tomorrow I'm going to the regular range and try these at some distances. Kinda wondering how much trajectory I'm going to be giving up. Judging by how much (or little) I gained by dropping in arrow weight from 400 gr. hunting shafts to 320 grain 3-D target arrows, I'm thinking it won't be very much out to 40 or so yards.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:53 AM

I'm thinking it won't be very much out to 40 or so yards.
I think you'll find out, it's an advantage while hunting, where you'll know the distance. The heavy arrows are more stable and more accurate at longer distances. They're not meant for playing 3d games. Their advantage comes when your goal is to kill game in all kinds of conditons.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

i've been shooting the terminator hunter selects for at least 6 seasons now, and even use them for 3d. I've found that if I pay the other guys entry fee, and have them pull my arrows, I'm a much happier guy

I actually went with these heavier arrows, so I could use my hunting setup for 3d. I was having trouble getting down to 280 fps with my long draw (32") and 68 lb setup.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:24 AM

No doubt about it, for penetrating big critters and shooting whisper quiet, heavy is the way to go. Mine are right on 500 grains and in the old school traditional world, that's even light.

Quick Reply: Maybe There is Something to This Heavy Arrow Thing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.