Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

G5 Montec

Old 05-28-2007, 09:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default G5 Montec

hi guys i used to shoot mechicals but was thinking of going to G5 Montecs. Do they shoot like field points? I want the field point accerecy but want a broahead i can shoot threw mesh on ground blinds...
Old 05-28-2007, 10:45 AM

Default RE: G5 Montec

I have been shooting the 100 gr.Pre-Season Montecs at the range along with field points, and I make absolutely NO adjustments when switching back and forth. They fly EXACTLY like my field points. I shoot them at 20, 30 and 40 yards, and have never noticed any difference.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:55 PM
Fork Horn

Same here. They fly extremely well for me. I am going to a heavier arrow this year so will be shooting the 125gr heads. Hopefully they will fly like my lighter setup.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:02 PM

Guy's, I have heard that the Montec is a very well built broadhead but, I have also heard a lot of people say that they have a serioussharpnessissue and have heard many complaints about poor bloodtrails. What's your experience?

-Sharps
Old 06-05-2007, 10:36 PM
Site Bouncer

I've used them for the past few years and have nothing but good things to say about them. For me they provided good blood trails however I rarely needed to track as most dropped within sight. I like to sharpen broadheads and yes they do tend to take a little longer to sharpen but you can get them very sharp.I have alos found that they willfly just like your field tips. I too use the practice blades and they shoot right along with my field points. The Montecs are one of many very good cut on contact broadheads on the market today....you won't be dissapointed in them.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:43 PM

I have had great success with the 100 gr. G5 montecs this past season. Like others have said, they are an extremely durable head, fly very similar to field points (out of a well-tuned bow) and hold an edge really well. My only complaint, and its a small one, is thatmine make a slight whistle while in flight. I have heard this from others as well. Its not really noticeble until your actually looking for it though. All in all its a great head and im sure you would be very happy with them.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sharpster

Guy's, I have heard that the Montec is a very well built broadhead but, I have also heard a lot of people say that they have a serious sharpness issue and have heard many complaints about poor bloodtrails. What's your experience?

-Sharps
Thats no BS. Right out of the package, they are about as sharp as a roofing nail (which is really just blunt...not sharp). However, they are made of a relatively high carbon steel, which makes them pretty easy to sharpen. And given that they are perfect 45 degree triangles, its pretty hard to mess up sharpening them. I hone mine on a fine stone, then strop on a leather belt with polishing compound.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:51 PM

I got a set of those DTI diamond stones - they come in coarse, medium, fine and extra fine. These really make short work of putting a great edge on the Montec. And once sharp, these high carbon head stay sharp for a long time.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:58 PM

I, too am about to make the change to the Montec's from mechanicals. I have had nothing but good luck with the mechanicals, just changing things up a bit. New bow this year....new set of FMJ's...might as well try new heads out. I really like the looks of them, and have heard nothing but good things about them.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:11 PM

FYI - three blade headsare 60 degree triangles.

Quick Reply: G5 Montec

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.