Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 what kind of vanes >

what kind of vanes

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

what kind of vanes

Old 05-20-2007, 05:10 AM
Typical Buck

Default what kind of vanes

so, I'm still waiting on my Easton ST axis 400 spine.
What kind of vanes should I use ? I'm shooting a whiskerbiscuit and release, probably use 100gr broadheads and I'm a lefty.
I heard a lot about blazer vanes and I read that too much arrow spin reduces speed ? the guy at the shop showed me some vanes witha little wider end to create more spin.....are those any good ?

Frank
Old 05-20-2007, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: what kind of vanes

the guy at the shop showed me some vanes witha little wider end to create more spin.....are those any good ?
Sounds like they are Quick Spins and seeing you are using a biscut then I would suggest another type of vane, from all reports I have heard the Quick Spins dont hold up all that well.

I would suggest either the Blazers or the Dura Vane Predator's.
Old 05-20-2007, 07:59 AM

Blazers hold up very well through the biscuit. And they work good, too.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:38 AM

Using blazers with helical or offset, you should only lose 1-2 fps on your arrows at the most.

Quickspins won't hold up through your WB very well.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:42 AM

I'm switching from Blazers to a 4 inch low profile vane. The Killer and X Vanes are made by Bohning also and use the stiff material for durability and resistance to bending over in flight. I want better cable and rest clearance with the low profile and a longer vane than the 2 inch Blazer for more spin effect in my Bitzenberger fletching jig.

These are the 4 inchBohning Killer vanes,,

Old 05-20-2007, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

walks with a gimp,

are those vanes offset or helicle?

being a finger shooter and right handed...do you think i would need helicle and offset or just offset? the arrows i buy seem to only be slightly offset...just a hair..
Old 05-20-2007, 11:35 AM
Typical Buck

thx, now all I have to do is find me some over here ( belgium, Europe )
It seems like somebody doesn't want me to get my bow ready and tuned.
First my drawlength was too long, so I had too wait for new modules for my tomkat, than my easton axis 400's that I ordered didn't come in and had to be reordered and now I need to find blazer vanes.

If I find blazers or predators, can I just fletch them on straight or do they need to be "twisted" like in the pic ?

F.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like useing Right wing 4inch Feathers out of my Buiscut Taped up with a Helical clamp and fairly big offset on them....i fletch my own so its fairly cheap....feathers have that classic look to them YOu can get them in solid and Barred colors...and if you want to get creative you can splice different colors together...here is an example on cedar shafts that some traditional archers like to use in a shield cut...notice the custom paint(cresting) on the shafts....nice[8D]i go to Eaglearchery.com for my arrow supplies

here be another pic

YOu can do the same thing with alums or carbon minus the Paint, or you can use arrow wraps.....Feathers work better than standard vanes out of a wisker biscut in my experience...i havent used blazers they probably work great but im stubborn and like the forgiveness that feathers offer incase of contact with a branch down range
Old 05-20-2007, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: m9a9g9i9c

thx, now all I have to do is find me some over here ( belgium, Europe )
It seems like somebody doesn't want me to get my bow ready and tuned.
First my drawlength was too long, so I had too wait for new modules for my tomkat, than my easton axis 400's that I ordered didn't come in and had to be reordered and now I need to find blazer vanes.

If I find blazers or predators, can I just fletch them on straight or do they need to be "twisted" like in the pic ?

Are you going to fletch them yourself? If so then it will depend on what clamp you have on the jig. You can put Blazers on either helical or straight-offset. Shooting through a bisquit I'd be inclined to try straight with an offset first.

While it is true that helical or offset will slow an arrow down more than just a straight fletch it's almost imperative to spin the arrow to some degree if using broadheads. They'll need the stability of spinning. The speed loss won't be great enough to notice till you get to longer ranges, like 40 yards and longer.

F.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:14 PM
Typical Buck

BGF,

I don't plan on fletching my own arrows right now, maybe in the future,
I'm pretty sure the blazers or predators aren't available here, so I'll have to make due with some 4" straight vanes, I'm going to ask for stiffer ones tho'.......as long as I can start shooting and get back in good form, when the day comes, I'll order some blazers and some 100gr muzzy's from out of the US and fletch my own arrows before I go on a hunt.
I'm doing my best here to find some info on bowhunting in europe, but the closest country where it's legal is France and you need to be french or have to do some tests.....So, if I want to do some hunting, it will be in the US or Africa.....
anyway, first learn some more and tune some more

thx anyway

F

Quick Reply: what kind of vanes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.