Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Removing inserts >

Removing inserts

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Removing inserts

Old 05-10-2007, 05:20 PM
Spike

Default Removing inserts

Ok, you don't have to tell me how stupid I am. I've already determined that. When I build arrows or reload, I try to get everything as perfect and uniform as humanly possible. So....when I bought my dozen Easton Axis H.I.T. arrows, I wanted to be sure that each broadhead was aligned exactly the same. Here comes the stupid part (you've probably already guessed)....To be sure they all alignedthe same, I screwed them into the inserts, put some of the epoxy glue that came with them on the inserts and inserted them into the shaft. Well, there was no way tounscrew the broadheads without messing up the alignment soI let them set.I guess I used a little too much glue because now,none ofmy broadheads willcome out. So far, I haven't shot or shot at any deer with one so none are dull and need the blades replaced. I have a couple I shoot for practice and haven't ruined any of them yet either. But, it is going to happen and I was hoping someone had a cure for removing the broadheads from the inserts without ruining the arrows. They were pretty expensive. Please spare me the "stupid" lecture and help me if at all possible. Thanks
Old 05-10-2007, 05:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Removing inserts

My experience with epoxies is that the easiest method for removal (of the epoxy) is heat. Bad part about your issue is that the heat required will destroy the carbon fibers.

Can you cut the shafts behind the inserts and still have a shaft length long enough to shoot safely (arrow length)on your bow? If so, you will just have to buy replacement inserts.

If not, I do not know of any other way to reverse theadhesive bond of epoxy.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:50 PM
Spike

dip the broadheads in boiling water, you might get lucky
Old 05-15-2007, 02:58 PM

I have removed inserts from arrows by installing a field point and heating it up with a candle until the glue loosens. I believe you could do the same if you were to VERY carefully heat the broadhead (don't let the flame get close to the carbon) until it unscrews. Hope you get it figured out.