Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

broken knocks

Old 05-08-2007, 09:05 AM

Default broken knocks

How do you take a cracked knock off of an arrow? I tried to twist it off with a pair of pliers but i cannot keep the arrow from spinning in my hand and if I tried to clamp the arrow down it would ruin it. These are aluminum arrows I am trying to fix. Thanks for any input.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:54 AM

Default RE: broken knocks

Nocks on aluminum arrows are most likely glued w/ hot melt glue. If you heat the arrow just below the nock the glue will melt and the nock should slide right off.

Words of caution.....DO NOT heat the nock itself, and don't overheat the arrow. Keep the arrow spinning in your hand while you are heating it....It won't take much...
Old 05-08-2007, 08:24 PM
Fork Horn

How about the carbon arrow side to the original question. I broke one yesterday and broke another today. They both broke off almost flush with the arrow. How in the name of common sense does one get that little sucker out of there?
Old 05-08-2007, 09:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

If a nock breaks off flush,you need to do 1 of 2 things.Take a wood screw and screw it into the nock and just pull it out with a pair of pliers or you can take a small screw and heat it up and melt the screw into the broken nock and let it cool and then pull it out with a pair of pliers.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:23 PM
Fork Horn

gracias TFOX!!
Old 05-08-2007, 10:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bullcan

How do you take a cracked knock off of an arrow? I tried to twist it off with a pair of pliers but i cannot keep the arrow from spinning in my hand and if I tried to clamp the arrow down it would ruin it. These are aluminum arrows I am trying to fix. Thanks for any input.

If they are glued on nocks,I just cut them off with a utility knife or similar knife.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:13 AM
Spike

How do you get them out if they are broken off flush and glued in?
Old 07-27-2011, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by AKHunterNP
How do you get them out if they are broken off flush and glued in?
If they are broke off flush, you are referring to carbon arrows I take it? They should not( Key word here!!) be glued in. They should just be pressed in as be able to be turned to be tuned later. They may be tight, not glued in. Try the recommended way to remove as described earlier and see how it goes.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TFOX
If they are glued on nocks,I just cut them off with a utility knife or similar knife.
Don't forget to clean off the tip with Acetone or something similar to remove the old glue and nock resin before applying the new nock top obtain the correct alignment.
Use an adhesive such as Bohning FletchTite or FletchTite Platnium to apply the new nock. Just a drop or so, it don't take much!!
Roll arrow on table with nock over the edge to make sure the nock is square with the shaft and doesn't wobble.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:49 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by SecondChance
If they are broke off flush, you are referring to carbon arrows I take it? They should not( Key word here!!) be glued in. They should just be pressed in as be able to be turned to be tuned later. They may be tight, not glued in. Try the recommended way to remove as described earlier and see how it goes.
I got them out with the allen key. Yes, they are carbon arrows.