Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 figuring arrow spine >

figuring arrow spine

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

figuring arrow spine

Old 05-07-2007, 07:12 PM

Default figuring arrow spine

can someone with the program that figures proper arrow spine help me out please? or can someone tell me a way of figuring this myself? ive ran searches but they ALWAYS come up empty.

i shoot 29" DL
Vectrix 60-70 set at 62-64 lbs
arrows are 28"
100 grain broadheads
blazers and wraps
idk the weight of my arrow if thats needed, but kind of irrelevant because im looking into new arrows, and just checking what the spine should be for these arrows.

so for these specs, what spine would best fit my setup?doesthe weight of the arrow matter?

i just reinstalled my WB so ill be attempting paper and walk back tuning again this week.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:22 PM

Default RE: figuring arrow spine

I am famililar with Easton and Carbon Express, so for an Easton you would need a 400 spine, CX would be a 250.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can download a trial version of Ontarget2 at www.pinwheelsoftware.com.

There are 3 program choices. SF is strictly for arrow sizing. SFA is for more detailed work. With that you can put in your bow info and check stuff out.

There's also Carbon Expressshafts that are 100, 200,300,&400. The CX series and the 3D Select size that way. 100 being the lightest. You will probably be in the 200 size with that set-up.300 may be too stiff. Terminator series uses 4560 & 6075.

If I was at home I'd be able to run the numbers for you but I'd agree with mobowhtr on the sizes that he recommended for Easton and for the otehr CX series.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:57 PM

Dave, my 3D selects I bought this year are spined 250 and 350.....I may be mistaken, but I think they changed this year.....Actually, I know they did, now that I think about it....I shot some 3D selects last year that were 400's....They are also Maxima 3D selects this year.....I'm not sure if they make the same selects as last year or not....

Now back to your regularly scheduled program....
Old 05-07-2007, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now I'm confused.I just bought mine early this year and they are 300's.

I went to their site and figured it out before posting. Although I'mprobably still off. The Maxima 3D selects are new for this year. Talk about confusing.They still ist the 3D Selects on their site though if you do a search. The regular CX series is still 100 thru 400.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:16 PM

Ahhhhhh......yes, that is a tad confusing.....Oh well, either way, they are AWESOME arrows....
Old 05-07-2007, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Definitely are. Do you use the bull collar on yours? My pro shop has a ton of fletched 3D Selects. however, I want to get into doing it myself and just bought all the gear. So, I'm going to have to get the CX's or the Maximas if I stick with CX.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:10 AM

or can someone tell me a way of figuring this myself?
The only way to know the exact spine needed, is to test the set-up. Start out with arrows that are slightly weak according to the mfg. Leave them long and set your bow draw weight to it's mid range. Then bareshaft test and adjust arrow length, tip weight and/or draw weight to fine tune exact dynamic spine. Using this method, you can get a huge range of arrows to shoot properly out of a bow.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just a a side note wouldn't it be nice if the ATA would standardize arrow markings so that the number cooinsided with the appropriate spine deflection. It would be a lot easier to compare apples to apples, don't you think?
Old 05-08-2007, 08:48 AM

ORIGINAL: BGfisher

Just a a side note wouldn't it be nice if the ATA would standardize arrow markings so that the number cooinsided with the appropriate spine deflection. It would be a lot easier to compare apples to apples, don't you think?
YES IT WOULD! I couldn't agree more.

Dave, I do use the bulldog nock collar, and nocks. I've used good arrows in my day, in fact when I bought these I was shooting ACC's.....I simply CANNOT believe how good these arrows really are. CX CLAIMS that the bulldog collar makes them virtually impossible to robinhood an arrow....Goot thing they only said virtually......I've done it 4 times in a month....

Quick Reply: figuring arrow spine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.