Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 RAGE BROADHEAD FLIGHT + PENETRATION DAMAGE ?? >

RAGE BROADHEAD FLIGHT + PENETRATION DAMAGE ??

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

RAGE BROADHEAD FLIGHT + PENETRATION DAMAGE ??

Old 05-06-2007, 07:40 PM

Default RAGE BROADHEAD FLIGHT + PENETRATION DAMAGE ??

Has anybody tried the new rage expandable broadhead for deer ??
[ul][*]How do they fly ? Do they really fly like field tips at long distances ?[*]How do they react to bone contact ?[*]Lots of publicity on entry hole, but how is the exit hole ?? do they stay open all the way ?[*]What did you use 2 or 3 blades ?what weight?[/ul]
I presently shoot with the devastating muzzy's.. but at long range they tend to drift...

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Have fun shooting !

Old 05-07-2007, 03:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: RAGE BROADHEAD FLIGHT + PENETRATION DAMAGE ??

they did well in my tests. They are sharp, accurate and penetrate well for a large head. They are strong enough to get the job done, but not nearly as durable as your muzzys. I did use a 2 blade 100 grn rage last year to shoot a medium size doe. They results were outstanding, especially considering the type of shot. I do have a full review on my website if your interested.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:57 PM

I haven't killed any with mine yet, but the two blade 100 grain Rage fly just like field points. They don't open up going through the air, but will open quickly enough on contactto make a 2" slot through a piece of cardboard.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot four deer with 3 blades last year and none went more than 50yds. They flew just like field points and the damage they do is amazing. BUT as 5 shot said they arent the most durable broadhead out there. But I by broadheads to kill deer very fast, I'm more interested in that than how long they last.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:56 PM

Holy crap, its 5shot.... where have you been?
Old 05-08-2007, 10:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

5 shot,how,iyo,how would the 3 blade rage heads performin penetration as compared to a Rocket Steelhead.

I realize the Rage 3 blade are a little bigger in cutting diameterbut my Steelheads are jamming in the ground so a little bigger head may not be out of the questionandI am contemplating the BiggerRage for next year.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only experience I have with them is on a coyote, and it wasn't good. Shot the coyote and hit him well. He went and layed down about 50 yards away, so I just left him, thinking I would pick him up after the morning's hunt. Well, I look over again about 20 minutes later, and there he is walking across the field. Never did find him, but the boradhead was destroyed. All of the blades were missing and the leading blade was broken off as well. Definitely not a very durable head.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

100 grns. Monster entry and exit. Insane amounts of blood. Superb flight out to 50 yards, which was as far as I shot those. The absolute best broadheads I've ever used. oh yeah it was a 2 blade.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: YooperMike

The only experience I have with them is on a coyote, and it wasn't good. Shot the coyote and hit him well. He went and layed down about 50 yards away, so I just left him, thinking I would pick him up after the morning's hunt. Well, I look over again about 20 minutes later, and there he is walking across the field. Never did find him, but the boradhead was destroyed. All of the blades were missing and the leading blade was broken off as well. Definitely not a very durable head.
Mike, were you using the 2 blade or 3 blade?
Old 05-10-2007, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Robin Woods..

Has anybody tried the new rage expandable broadhead for deer ?? [ul][*]How do they fly ? Do they really fly like field tips at long distances ?[*]How do they react to bone contact ?[*]Lots of publicity on entry hole, but how is the exit hole ?? do they stay open all the way ?[*]What did you use 2 or 3 blades ?what weight?[/ul]
I presently shoot with the devastating muzzy's.. but at long range they tend to drift...

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Have fun shooting !
I won't use anything else. I shoot the 100gr 2-blade and they do fly like my field points, at least out to 40yds (at least the included practice tip does).

I have only taken 1 deer with them, a doe, and it reacted well to bone contact. Upon entry, it put about a half inch slice into the top of the left shoulder, broke a rib on entry and upon exit and then stuck in the ground.

When I retrieved the arrow, the blades were not bent and if it hadn't been full of hair, meat, and bone, it would have collapsed into it's pre-flight form.

Once I cleaned it up, it's fully functional again and back in my quiver. I'll see if I can find my pix of the entry and exit holes.

Quick Reply: RAGE BROADHEAD FLIGHT + PENETRATION DAMAGE ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.