Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

bow trajectory

Old 04-21-2007, 11:06 PM

Default bow trajectory

Is anyone familiar with sighting in their 20 yard pin at approx 4-5 yards and the 30 yard pin at approx 8 yards? At the pro shop today they said that these distances were equal for the pins because of the arc in the bow's trajectory. I usually start sighting my 10/20 yard pin at point blank adjust it step a few feet back, shoot and adjust untill I'm at 20 yards.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: bow trajectory

Interesting. Works for a gun but not at those distances of course.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:29 AM

Your sight sits above your line of aim (arrow path). This causes very close ranges to sight-in similar to longer ranges. The closer the target, the longer the range it will sight-in at. This will vary from person to person, because of different anchors. No one yardage will work for everyone. To sight your bow in like this would be a waste of time in my opinion. You might come close, but you would not be exact. For instance, if you were actually at 3.5 yards instead of 3 yards, it might make a difference of 5-6 yards downrange at the actually distance.

Your distances are backwards. The 4 yard distance should be the one to correlate more closely to the 30 yard pin.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

They're using a variation of the French method. If you site in at 3 yds you should be close at 50. The method is mainly for tuning but obviosly works for siting in.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Straightarrow

Your sight sits above your line of aim (arrow path). This causes very close ranges to sight-in similar to longer ranges. The closer the target, the longer the range it will sight-in at. This will vary from person to person, because of different anchors. No one yardage will work for everyone. To sight your bow in like this would be a waste of time in my opinion. You might come close, but you would not be exact. For instance, if you were actually at 3.5 yards instead of 3 yards, it might make a difference of 5-6 yards downrange at the actually distance.

Your distances are backwards. The 4 yard distance should be the one to correlate more closely to the 30 yard pin.

I concur wholeheartedly
Old 04-23-2007, 07:20 AM
Typical Buck

Provided you know some very specific things about your setup (arrow trajectory being one of them) you can in fact sight in close and be reasonably close at longer yardages. I have used this method in the past (and a good working knowledge of TAP) to calculate the 8 yard point of impact when using my 20- 60 yard pins.

Unless you are very techically savy I would not recomend this as anything more than a roughing in of your pins. Shoot the actual yardages to get them right.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:48 PM

Yeah I agree with what you guys are saying. I just wondered if any one was familiar with this method of "rough sighting your pins",I wouldn't trust it at the actual range.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:57 AM

i wouldn't trust it at the greater distance your arrow is setteling down where at that close it hasn't even straitend out yet
Old 04-24-2007, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yesterday I decided to try the French tuning method. No paper tuning, new bow, rest and sitesremoved from last Allegiance. No adjusting rest I sited in a pin at 3 yds. Then went over to the 53 yd marker to tune my rest. Took 3 shots and that were right so I adjusted my rest accordingly. Next3 shots. X ring, right on X and third shot right outside of 10 ring.

If the arrow isn't set-up for center shot on the bow you can't just rely on the close-up shot. But I would think that if all you had was a short range and you paper tuned the bow you can site a pin in close and be effective at the long range equivalent.

However, I'd still recommend shooting at the longest ranges you can for practice.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:00 AM

After you get your bow sighted in, you might want to find out what pin to use when you're only a few yards away. You might have to use a 50 or 60 yard pin to hit a spot at just a few yards. This might prove to be beneficial when you have to put a wounded animal down.

Quick Reply: bow trajectory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.