Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Fletching contact >

Fletching contact

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Fletching contact

Old 12-16-2002, 07:45 AM
Spike

Default Fletching contact

HI all, hope someone can help here.

I am having a problem with my feathers contacting the riser when I shoot. I shoot a Martin Prowler, and the problem is when I tune my rest so that I am shooting my arrow lined up with the Limb's Balanced center measurment I am still contacting the riser. I shoot with feathers, and can still get 4" groups out to 40 yds, so I am good for hunting. But I would still like to be able to fix this and get my bow paper tuned good. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I also have a question on fletching, but I will ask that in a seperate post.

Thanks
Scott
Old 12-16-2002, 04:55 PM

Default RE: Fletching contact

bassn81,
Are you sure this is the exact location of the contact? I would put a light Vaseline film on your vanes and dust them with powder. I would shoot the arrow and verify if and were you are making the contact. I find it weird that you would make contact with the riser and still be getting good paper tears. You may have to re-tune your bow if you truly are hitting the riser. That would mean you need to move your rest out a bit. Good luck. Oh, Easton has a great tuning guide on their website. Scott
Old 12-16-2002, 06:14 PM

81,you might have to change rest or launcher type so you can change the position of your fletching. Are you shooting a shoot-threw rest? If you are,try shooting with cock feather up. That might give you enough clearence. Have you done any vertical tuning? That would be shooting a group of arrows at a 6" electrical at 40 yds. Adjusting your rest for the tightest vertical group. I had this problem with my Merlin and a Hoyt Deviator. Hope this helps. JERRY

Old 12-16-2002, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Does the Martin prowler have the dug out riser or is it an older model with the straight riser? If it is the older model without the dugout riser and your using a shoot thru rest it's a pretty common problem. You can use the flipper style rest or there are other rests that dont require cock feather down which will help your problem.

Edited by - bowfanatic on 12/16/2002 20:54:18
Old 12-16-2002, 08:26 PM
Spike

Doinker- I have determined this to be the point of contact using the method you mentioned. I dont think I can move my rest out further or I will not be shooting my arrow sqaure according to the Easton guide.
Jerry- I am shooting a TM hunter, or a Quiktune (quicktune usually, but it broke and is still out for replacement) I have the same problem with both. I will try the vertical adustmant also.

bowfanatic- The martin prowler has a fairly strait riser, thats the problem I am having, I never thought of it before, but maybee its not"dug out" enough. Do you have any experience in setting up a bow for a fipper rest? and what advice can you give? Thanks

Scott
Old 12-17-2002, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is the number 1 tuneing problem . Is it eating the snot out of the edge of your featers ? If not I dont know that I'd worie too much about it , feathers are very forgiving of contact thats why the stick bow guys use them . Vanes on the other hand will nock your arrows all over the place .

We all have different oppinions , if we did'nt the world would be a BORING place
Old 12-17-2002, 09:10 AM

I would advise you to paper tune your bow and let that telll where where your center shot really is for your arrow & bow combo. I woud bet you will find the arrow will pull out a bit from the rest when you do this. Good thing you are shooting feathers! You would have a mess with vanes!

Good Luck
Old 12-17-2002, 02:53 PM

81, on my last post that should of read electrical "tape". Or anything that will give you a good vertical reference line. By shooting and moving your rest R/L by very small incerments to achive the tightest vertical groups will fine tune your center shot. It may or may not give you enough clearence. It sounds to me like your going to have to change rest types to a Bodoodle type so you can shoot to cock feather out as Bowfanatic said. You just don't get the clearence with those risers.Good luck.JERRY

Old 12-18-2002, 09:13 PM

Easy to solve! Get trophy taker fall away rest and you will never have contact promblem again. Check it out at trophytaker.com Easy and simple.