Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Arrow selection dilema! >

Arrow selection dilema!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow selection dilema!

Old 04-16-2007, 10:30 AM

Default Arrow selection dilema!

I need to go to a weaker spined arrow (I cannot get rid of tear right otherwise). Been shooting Axis ST 400 Carbons.
BUT! I want to keep my total arrow weight at 400gr or more for hunting.
Arrow, insert, nock, fletches, 125 gr. point.
I shoot 68lb, 27.5" draw, mechanical release, Reflex SuperSlam.

Is there an arrow out there that will give me these criteria? I'm thinking the Cabella's carbon hunter in the 55 - 70 lb, 8.7gpi might fall into this category.?
Old 04-16-2007, 11:13 AM

Default RE: Arrow selection dilema!

Before I did anything with different spined arrows, I would check the charts and make sure you aren't fixing something that isn't broke. It sounds like you may already have toosoftof an arrow. If you haven't done so already, go to Easton's site and check the charts for proper spine. From there, look into things like centershot, rest position, clearance issues, etc. You have to start with the right arrow to go on to the next step.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes. I sure wish I had known that when I first started. I'd have saved some money.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

2117 alluminum shafts would probably work , if you are shooting a 100 grain head , or weight tubes , I think they make them , that will fit inside your axis shafts .
Old 04-16-2007, 12:53 PM

Believe me when I say . . . I've done ALL the tuning and adjusting you can do! Many times over. My arrows still tear "tail right". Not a lot, but enough. And the final "fix" is to go to a lighter spined arrow according to all sources, both locally and on the net.

I'm past all that . . . and oh yeah . . . I won't go back to aluminum.

Thanks.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:05 PM

Take your bow to a really good pro shop. Are you in Cheyenne Wyoming? The nearest one may be in Fort Collins, Colorado. We have a very good one in Canon City, Colorado - but that is a pretty long haul from Cheyenne.

There is something wrong here that going to an even more underspined arrow is probably not going to help.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:43 PM

The only way I've been able to determine dynamic spine is with bareshaft testing.

I would also guess your spine is weak. You can tweak dynamic spine by changing tip weight or draw weight, without buying new arrows. Heavier tips weaken spine. Heavier draw weight weakens spine. You can also cut the shaft shorter - to stiffen spine. I wouldn't advise that until you've determined that it will work. No going back on that one.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check for cam lean. This will give a right tear even if the arrows are spined right. I do have to take exception to what you say you have been told. Your arrows are not too stiff. If anything they are on the edge of being too weak now, especially with 125 gr tips.

I think you should try one of two things if the cams are in line. Either try shooting a 340 spine or turn the weight down about one full turn and see what happens.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:10 PM
Dominant Buck

YUP, I agree, arrows are on the light side if anything. A too stiff arrow doesn't give you a right tear..... it gives you a HIGH right tear. So can form, untuned bows etc. Try this, put a 100 grain point on that arrow instead of the 125 and see what happens. Get that palm or heel out of the shot. But, my first guesses are tune and form. If you put a fixed broadhead on it you'll see how bad real quick. With broadheads that heavy I say you need a 340 or the equivalent.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

How long of an arrow are you shooting right now?

Quick Reply: Arrow selection dilema!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.