Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow weight

Old 04-13-2007, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Arrow weight

Mobowhuntr, Arthur doesnt like light arrows. He deffinetly prefers them around 500grains or so. I would deffinetly say your setup is plenty for anything walking in north america. My allegiance was set up shooting a 360 grain arrow at around 310-312 and I dont think there is a deer alive that could say that arrow wouldnt blow through them.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:34 PM

I agree, but Arthur by God knows what he's talking about, and his view is certainly worth exploring. What I am about to say isn't meant negatively....The folks that grew up in the "old school" days of archery HAD to shoot big heavy arrows....No way around it. And with reason. Heavy arrows by golly carry more momentum, there's no arguing that.

But here's my point.....Today's compounds are SO efficient, it just isn't as necessary as it once was.....I am pulling 70 pounds, and kicking almost 79 pounds of KE....that's what, 110% or so? Go back just 10 years, if you had a bow hitting 85 or 90% you were kicking butt! Physics are physics, and the principles are the same.....BUT, 50 grains just isn't that much weight and coupled w/ the efficiency of today's compounds.....It wasa no brainer for me. I will say, though, that if I were hunting animals bigger than deer I would reconsider.....
Old 04-14-2007, 06:24 AM

mobowhuntr,

Would it surprise you to find out that KE has no correlation to penetration on live animals? It's been clearly demonstrated in Ashby's studies.

Check this link out: http://www.tradgang.com/ashby/2005update5.pdf

Read at least the first 4 pages and study the graph on pg 11. It would be very difficult to refute this info if you understand it.
Old 04-14-2007, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

that may be true straightarrow, but KE is somewhat of a good indicator to determine if your producing enough energy to get enough penetration. The KE may not dictate penetration but in order to get what does dictate penetration KE has to be present.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:44 PM

ORIGINAL: passthru79

that may be true straightarrow, but KE is somewhat of a good indicator to determine if your producing enough energy to get enough penetration. The KE may not dictate penetration but in order to get what does dictate penetration KE has to be present.
Of course KE has to be presentl. It just doesn't matter if it's relatively high or relatively low.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

So what your saying having a high KE doesnt in any way have anything to do with penetration. From what I understand KE may not actualy effect penetration is more of a biproduct, but the higher the KE is the more potential there is for penetration because the higher the ke is the higher momentum and the other factors that dictate penetration are.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:20 AM

KE is not an indicator of penetration. Carefully read the link I placed above. Ashby explains it very well - better than I can. Study his graph that charts KE vs Penetration on 364 shots into animals. Notice the distribution is totally random. Then, look at his momentum charting of the same 364 shots and see the clear correlation to penetration.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:52 AM
Dominant Buck

The one thing that many of the speed freaks leave out of this discussion on heavy/light is the effects of light arrows on the equipment. Arthur and I both grew up from old school as you say. Old school physics is still valid. Heavier arrows are easier on your modern day space age bows. It slays me that people say I have 80 pounds of KE and they're shooting a combination that could explode tomorrow. If you buy a reasonably heavy arrow(doesn't have to be outrageously heavy) you won't be anymore than a foot pound or two away in total KE than you would with a speed arrow that didn't push the envelope on weight. Heavy arrows also make for a quieter bow. I'm shooting a real light arrow now, 467 grains. I remember when I used to shoot heavy stuff.[8D]
Old 04-16-2007, 11:04 AM

The only reason we archers are attracted to the light arrows is because they shoot flatter. You can shoot one pin out to maybe 35 yards. For animals like Antelope, an arrow in the 300 to 350 grain total weight is not a bad choice. They are pretty light boned and not hard to penetrate. But for larger game - particularly elk and moose - I'm in total agreement with the heavier arrow proponents.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

To the best of my knowledge the majority of todays bows are warrantied for arrows of 350grains. I personaly shoot around 365 grains and I dont think my bow is going to blow up tomorrow as DavidMil stated. Now granted you will get a little more vibration and hand shock out of a 365 grain arrow compared to that whopper of a arrow he shoots, but with the high quality bows and vibration dampening devices they have today its pretty much a minimal difference. As for Straightarrow's comment about KE and being all over the chart for Dr. Ashby's test. Im pretty sure regardless of arrow weight, KE, Speed pretty much anything the results on live animals is going to be all over the place. It all dependds on where you hit them, and further more I never said KE determines penetration, read my post a little more carefuly.

Quick Reply: Arrow weight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.