Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 poundage change with draw length changes >

poundage change with draw length changes

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

poundage change with draw length changes

Old 04-04-2007, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default poundage change with draw length changes

How much does the draw length affect the max poundage of a bow? If a bow is 70 lbs at 29" and you put 30" modules on it does that increase or decrease max poundage? Or, does it stay the same?
Old 04-04-2007, 07:44 PM

Default RE: poundage change with draw length changes

SAME
Old 04-05-2007, 04:11 AM

very true. its when you have different posts on your cam to hook the string on for drawlength changes - that changes the peak poundage.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:01 AM

same
Old 04-05-2007, 05:05 AM

It may depend on the specific bow and cam design.

On my Bowtech Justice, Iswitched to shorter module and it lost about 5 pounds draw weight.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:31 PM
Typical Buck

It really is bow/cam specific as others have said.

On the Hoyt Cam and a Half system, changing the draw length does not change the peak weight, however it can drasticly change the way the cam feels. A C.5 bow in the shortest draw settting feels very very smooth, while in the longest slot feels like a much more agressive cam.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 98Redline

It really is bow/cam specific as others have said.

On the Hoyt Cam and a Half system, changing the draw length does not change the peak weight, however it can drasticly change the way the cam feels. A C.5 bow in the shortest draw settting feels very very smooth, while in the longest slot feels like a much more agressive cam.
That's a great point.

This may explain why for me the Vectrix felt more aggressive than others have said about.I have a 30" draw length and for the longer draw length I would assume that you are closer to the back of the draw cycleand obviously turn the cam over further than with a shorter draw module. On my Ally the peg is definitely closer to the end of the cam when it's rotated over.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:35 PM

ORIGINAL: AllenRead

It may depend on the specific bow and cam design.

On my Bowtech Justice, Iswitched to shorter module and it lost about 5 pounds draw weight.
It probably needs to have the string and cable twisted up some. Changing to a shorter mod may have changed the axle to axle some.That will affect the peak weight.
Think of it this way...the factory ships bows w/ different mods all the time and the weights are the same from one draw length to another. It's the limbs that determine weight,not the mods. Check your a to a , it's probably off of factory spec.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:38 PM
Typical Buck

The vectrix is not a good example of the feel change between long to short due to it being a draw length specific cam.

I was originally referring to the standard cam and a half system with the moveable draw length modules.

Although I have yet to shoot a Vectrix I am relatively certain the draw will be very similar between the short and longer draws. Similar to the way last year's Trykons were.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 98Redline

The vectrix is not a good example of the feel change between long to short due to it being a draw length specific cam.

I was originally referring to the standard cam and a half system with the moveable draw length modules.

Although I have yet to shoot a Vectrix I am relatively certain the draw will be very similar between the short and longer draws. Similar to the way last year's Trykons were.
Sorry about that. You are talking about the cams on the Reflex's then. I am positive though with my Ally that the cam comes over more than would on a shorter draw length. If it didn't there would be no need for the movable draw stop peg. The Vectrix peg is only moved between 2 holes to change let-off. I did use my bow scale to check lb and it's at 71. Which is what the card says for the bow at 29". I guessI was trying to compare cam changes to string stretch.

This brings up a question though. Why is the 30" draw bow faster than the 28"? If both are set at the same poundage there must be something in the draw cycle that dictates the additional speed? The cam obviously must roll over more for the longer draw?

Quick Reply: poundage change with draw length changes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.