Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

sight levels

Old 03-26-2007, 07:43 PM

Default sight levels

Can some one please explain to me the purpose of these? How important are they to have???
Old 03-26-2007, 08:02 PM

Default RE: sight levels

The level is thereto ensure that you are not canting the bow.

I don't like them for hunting. They take my focus away from the deer. I would rather use the time I would spend "leveling" the bow on judging the distance to the target.

With proper form you shouldn't need one for hunting. Some guys like them as a measure to double check ones form.

Like most things on the market, they are worth a try. Everyone is different. Best of Luck.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:44 PM

I LIK IT I THINK IT IS A GOOD TOOOL IF YOU ARE A BEGINNER OR JUST WANT THAT EXTRA SAFTEY
Old 03-27-2007, 12:02 PM
Typical Buck

A level on your sight is definately not a beginner tool and can/should be a critical part of your shot sequence. Just look at which sights have the levels on them, the ultra low end beginner sights....nope, it is all of the high end sights, nearly every darned one of them.

The level ensures that you counteract any natural cant you put on the bow due to any number of outside influences (hand position, bulky clothes, shooting across the side of a hill, odd shooting position, etc....)

Here are a couple of really good examples of why this is important:
1) There are a number of 3D courses in my area that have shots across a pretty good slope. When you set up on the shot, unless you have a level, EVERYBODY cants their bow. This can lead to some pretty severe left or right shots.

2) One of the guys I 3D with went on a mountain goat hunt. He spent several tens of thousands for the hunt. Trained like a madman and was totally ready. He set up on a pretty good ram that was a little above and to the side of he and his guide. In the excitement of the moment, he did not pay attention to his level. Due to the extreme angle of the mountain they were on, his bow cant was bad enough that he missed the ram (shot went wide past the ram's chest). Once in a lifetime opportunity, missed by something as simple as not paying attention to a little bubble....
Old 03-27-2007, 03:49 PM

good post redline......
Old 03-27-2007, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never used one, never really thought about needing one,not saying don't, just never used one.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

If more people would practice shooting their bow like you would during a hunt the canting problem would not be an issue. People have been shooting for how many years without a level?

I've never used one for 23 yrs and really do not see the need for one if you practice like you hunt. Just my $.02.