Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

MeanV2?

Old 03-21-2007, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default MeanV2?

I talked to a very wise archery expert about these (all STS). He told me that there is problems in tuning the bow and increased noise (not decreased as advertised). The minimal hand shock out of my Outback I am not going to wory about, but if I could quiet it down a bit more I would. If the STS does just the oposite I am not puting one on. Any and all coments welcome.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: MeanV2?

I have used the double STS on my Switchback XT, and I have a CSS from meanv2 on my Guardian and have had no problems. They have both performed as advertised. Heres a pic of the CSS.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:16 PM

I'm not sure what your expert is saying.
Many new bows are coming w/ STS as standard dress.
I for one, just put a MeanV2 on my Black Ice and I am giong to add one to my Trykon.

The MeanV ADDED 5 solid fps, made it dead quiet and I can't tell I fired a shot.Itdidn't change anything as far as being in tune is concerned.
I can't speak for STS systems , but I'll put a MeanV on every bow I buy.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I talked to a very wise archery expert about these (all STS). He told me that there is problems in tuning the bow and increased noise (not decreased as advertised).
IMHO your very wise archery expert is not all that wise

I have the CSS on my Black Ice and one on order for my Commander.
After installing it on the BI, I replaced the string and cable with no silencers on the string or cable it is still deadly quite with no hand shock or vibe and I did gain a few fps because of no silencers.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:49 PM

Trust me guys, TeeJay's "guy" is VERY respected, and his comments almost mirrored mine. I set the STS up on my bow and it was a royal pain in the butt to tune. The only differance between TeeJay's "guy" and myself is that after getting the STS set-up to where the bow could be "MACRO" tuned correctly is that mine helped to reduce noise and his did the opposite.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not a tech, so maybe I should not say anything but... I am still not sold on the idea that they are absolutely needed, as many are. I got a slap sound with the STS that apparently none of its ardent users can hear. Still, it did effectively kill the vibration in one of the bows, and perhaps reduced it a little in another. I still am amazed that many fans of these things shoot very quiet/ vibe free bows to start with, then say the STS, CSS, or whatever really made a huge difference. The only way to make some of these bows quieter is to hang them up and go do something besides shoot.

As far as the other thing goes, well, again not a tech here, but I have been paying close attention to what has been posted for several years on different boards. Len in Maryland does not favor the STS, as far as I've seen. Mike Carter of Missouri does seem to think highly of them. These two guys are, to my way of thinking, the two most knowledgable techs that post on archery forums. One likes them, one does not. If you like what it does, buy it. If not, don't. Almost any well tuned bow will likely shoot better than its owner can, with or without.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

PA Jay, well said. I have one on my new Allegiance and thus far, really like it. The thing I noticed with the 07 Allegiance is the amount of vibration this bow has compared to the two previous years. While its marginal, it does have a little more. This is because of the lighter mass weight of the bow and nowhere for the vibration to go. However, most of this vibration is coming from the string. TheMeanV2 version I have on mine does an excellent job of killing this vibe. So far, I really haven't been able to shoot much past 20 yds due to the weather, so the jury is still out on how it will ultimately tune with it on. One thing that really has me wondering is whether or not the rubber end flexes side to side on the shot, varying the string path. In other words, say the rubber dampner flexes to the left when the string hits it, then influences the string to go left with it.

To me, quietness is a relative term. There are different kinds of "quietness". Each bow makes a different type of noise. Some notice one bow, but not the other when if fact, they are probably both equally quiet, just create a different noise. Adding different components, like the STS, will create a different type of sound and length of sound from the bow.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have been using one for a while and I have noticed that if you have not adjusted it properly (i.e. the proper distance from the string) you will have excessive slap, and in some cases some tuning issues. Unfortunately, I have also found that the "correct" distance is not always the same. Sometimes it will be right upon the string at rest, others it could be 1/8th of and inch of the string. A good starting point is to adjust it so you can slide a dollar bill between the string and stopper without touching either. Then you can fine tune it by shooting from their.

Once adjusted it will reduce the felt vibration and while there may be a dull thud it should decrease the noise as well. Also, I have never had a problem tuning my bow once the STS was properly adjusted.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is anyone having their string served where the STS or CSS comes in contact with the string?
Old 03-22-2007, 06:16 AM

ORIGINAL: Primitive Weapon

Is anyone having their string served where the STS or CSS comes in contact with the string?
I have had one served on my 05 Allegiance with a STS and I will have my Drenalin served once I put on Meanv2 CSS.

Quick Reply: MeanV2?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.