Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Tuning with a T.R. DropZone rest >

Tuning with a T.R. DropZone rest

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Tuning with a T.R. DropZone rest

Old 03-17-2007, 01:23 AM

Default Tuning with a T.R. DropZone rest

I am trying to paper tune my bow. I have a trophy ridge Dropzone rest. My center-shot (left to right) is perfect thru the paper and also by doing the "walk-back" method.
My problem is up and down. In order to get a perfect "bullet-hole" thru the paper, my rest issquare with the screw hole in the bow riser, but the nock-end seems extremely low (~1/8"). When I nock the arrow and raise the launcher arm up manually, thearrows nock-endiswell below the perpendicular line off the bow string. I am also getting excessive wear on the shrink tubing on the launcher arm.
What is going on here? My launcher-arm timing of the rest appears to be great. (the actuator string is attached to the cable-guide slide on my BowTech MM). The arrow spine is well within the range for GoldTips chart.
Should I keep the arrow square to the string and not worry about the 1/4" high nock tear in the paper??
Should the rest actuator string be attached to one of the buss cables instead??

Old 03-17-2007, 03:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Tuning with a T.R. DropZone rest

Do you have the cock vane down? If so make to where the cock vane is up. I have had no trouble putting the rest string on the cable slide. I prefer it that way but to each his own. I have also had the DropZone on several bowtechs and had no problems other than on my Allegiance I had to turn the cock vane up.
Old 03-17-2007, 04:02 AM

Yes, I am shooting cock vane up. Iam not getting any fletching contact (powder tested).

Did you get the excessive wear on the launcher? It almost seems that it's not dropping fast enough. If I loosen the launcher string anymore, the arm will not come up all the way.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

IU would have to say go with what the arrow & bow want and not what you think you should see.

The goldtip arrows are what is eating your heat shrink- (if they are the rough kind?)

When I had my TR-DZ on my Patriot (same cam as your MM) it tuned a tad below square.

Now with a TT shaky hunter installed on it I had to pull 1/2 turn out of the top limb bolt to get it to tune correctly.

Was this a limb deflection issue? I dunno, just know it worked.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh yeah, make sure not to pull to hard with the down cable or it will start binding you up in an odd way. Just enough is plenty with a DZ.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:24 AM

I don't see how you can be nock low and not getting contact of some sort. I always start nock high and go from there. My MM actually tunes pretty nock high to begin with.

And paper tuning can be a bit frustrating, sometimes you have to do the opposite of what you think you should do.

And I ALWAYS start with my nocking point adjustment, then do my centershot adjustments.

Could your tiller be way off? Or maybe it's a grip problem. Who knows without seeing you shoot.

I would suggest raising your nock point to about 3/8 above center and go from there and see what happens.

If it was a timing issue with the rest I think you would be getting contact as well.

Paul
Old 03-18-2007, 06:41 PM

I believe I know what's wrong.
The actuator string attached to the cable guard slide does not travel far enough to bring the launcher arm up all the way. In other words the arm is stopping short of the top.
I had the same thing on my Black Ice.
You probably do have it shooting bullets at the spot where the arrow stops it's travel. But when you pull the cord manually it goes all the way to the top of the rest where it is supposed to be.
You,ll have to attach it to the down cable.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:48 PM

thanks everyone!! I'm going to try some different things after reading some of these suggestions. I'm sure I'll eventually get it right!!
Old 03-18-2007, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah Id deffinetly try attatching the actuator string to the down buss cable. After that make sure the two rods that your launcher arm slides on inside the rest are clean and lubed. I had trouble with mine wanting to stick if it got dirty.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:22 PM

Yep, I own a mighty might VFT and a drop zone. You cannot put the string on the cable gaurd. It has to be tied into the harness so it pulls the string down when you draw the bow.

Paul

Quick Reply: Tuning with a T.R. DropZone rest

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.