Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Front OF Center

Old 03-07-2007, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Front OF Center

What is the correct range you want your FOC to fall into i have seen
8-12% and 12-15% which is correct or are they both wrong?
Old 03-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Front OF Center

I've always heard 8-12%, Gold Tip FOC Calculator says 8-12%, http://www.goldtip.com/calculators/foc.asp , here's the Gold Tip FOC Calculator.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is what i have always heard, i have used the FOC calculate at GT's website, it works great. But recently i read a thread on HN that refered to the proper FOC range as 12-15%. Kind of cofused me. OHbowhunter where abouts in Ohio do live/hunt? I live and hunt in Holmes county. But did more hunting in Michigan this year because i am attending Adrian College.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

For hunting,EASTON reccomends between 10% and 15%.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

The higher your front of center is the more arch your arrow will have, the lower the FOC the flatter shooting the arrow will be, anywhere around 10% should be plenty for stability and good trajectery
Old 03-07-2007, 06:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: passthru79

The higher your front of center is the more arch your arrow will have, the lower the FOC the flatter shooting the arrow will be, anywhere around 10% should be plenty for stability and good trajectery

This is a myth.It doesn't matter what the foc is.a 500 grain arrow with 10% focwill fly the same as a 500 grain arrow with 20% foc,from a trajectory standpoint.This is puttingspine and tune aside.AND providing all else is the same.The foc is not a deciding factor in trajectory butweight is.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Front-of-Center
Balance Point:

10.94%

sorry forgot to add, So this is good then?
Old 03-07-2007, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

trajectory is decided by much more than weight, speed, weight, air resistance, lots of things. Maybe I got some bad infor about the FOC but It seems to make sence if an arrow is way to nose heavy that it wont have near as flat of a trajectory and the same arrow with a lesser FOC.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes it is decided by lots of factors but foc isn't in the equation.Atleast within the parameters of the archery industry it isn't.

Ask anyone who sets up sight tapes for their sliding sights,they never have to worry what the foc is,the total weight and drag are the deciding factors.All my sight tapes have been accurate to 80 yards when I get the info right.I just ran some settings out to 70 yards with 2 different foc's and the clicks were EXACTLY the same as well as the total drop of the arrow.

One of the programmers for an archery program was on here a few years ago arguing this very point.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I may be wrong, it just seems like FOC should change trajectory. Maybe the FOC isnt drastic enough or range isnt far enough. I dunno its like throwing a spear, if you tie a rock to the end of it its not going near as far and is going to nose dive faster.

Quick Reply: Front OF Center

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.