Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
broadhead and vane allignment? >

broadhead and vane allignment?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

broadhead and vane allignment?

Old 12-08-2002, 06:03 PM

Default broadhead and vane allignment?

I was told by another hunter that to get good flight and tune out of your hunting setup you should align your broadhead blades with the fletching. I had never heard of this. First off I shoot four fletched arrows tipped with 100 gr. 3-blade innerloc heads. Second of all do I need to redo my inserts because they dont srew in alligned and theres no way to adjust them? Should I switch to three fletch? Switch to four blade heads? I use the extra vane just for extra weight. I use 4" vanes should I use 3, 5" vanes to stay consistent with the weight and tune. Just wondering all input would be greatly appreciated. I don't get extremly great results with my current setup but good enough to kill a cow At 40 yards yesterday.
Old 12-08-2002, 07:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: broadhead and vane allignment?

matching the blades of broadheads with your fletching is nothing but a load of bunk an old wives tale.
I have never lined up the blades with vains and have yet to have any trouble with flight.

Aussie by birth Texan by choice
Old 12-08-2002, 08:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Alligning the blades does absolutly nothing to the flight of an arrow good or bad. You would have to be a physics genus to actually align the blades with the fletching. 1)you would need to know how many rpm your arrow is spinning 2)calculate how much your arrow spins before the vanes get to where your blades were 3)know the exact speed of your arrow 4)if there is any wind then the vanes will not go through the wash that the blades created anyway 5)All of this means nothing when your arrow slows down below the speed you calculated all of this for anyway. There are so many uncontrolable variables that they would never actually be alligned. But if it makes you feel better and you have the time to waste then feel free.
Old 12-09-2002, 12:16 AM

Alignments of the planets is more important that alignment of fletching and blades.
Make sure your inserts are in STRAIGHT...that's all you need to do.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:35 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-09-2002, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

I agree and disagree...
I agree with the statement "Alligning the blades does absolutly nothing to the flight of an arrow good or bad". But, I disagree that it does not matter. The arrow can and will have good flight, but it might not group with the rest of your arrows. My proof (at least to myself), took 6 arrows (6 gold tip 3555 and 6 easton 2312). Matched spine, and found the weak spine side of the arrow. Fletched all six on the weak spine. Put inserts and broadhead on and spun tested them. 5 were lined up with the fletching, 1 was not. Shot for groups at 20 yards. The 5 that were ligned up grouped in the same spot. The 1 that was not was about 1" high right. Repeated the test with a different arrow as the 1 that was not lined up with fletching. Same results. The arrow that was different shot to a different spot (close to the other off spot but not exactly). Even the one that was "odd" before grouped correctly with the others. I did this with all 6 arrows (6 gold tip 3555 carbons and 6 easton 2312) and the results were the same. The odd one flew to a different spont than the group, and each "odd" one was not the same spot as the previous "odd" one They all had great flight (even at longer yards) but they didn't group with the others. Granted 1" on a deer at 20 yards isn't much, but I want to pick any arrow out of my quiver and know it will shoot the same as any other one. Will it make a difference in arrow flight? No. But, it will make a difference.

Old 12-09-2002, 12:47 PM

In my opinion people will get better grouping when aligning the blades with the fletching but not for the reason they think. If the arrow heads are not all aligned the same on each arrow they will each catch air a little different when the arrow is launched. The better the bow is tuned the less the arrow will deflect off course before stabilizing but there will always be some deflection. The trick is to get every arrow to have the same relationship between blades, fletching and arrow rest even if the blades and fletching aren't inline with each other. Just my $.02.
Old 12-09-2002, 03:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Now what Scully said does make sence. When the arrow leaves the bow it bends and blades can catch alot af air. If they aren't all in the same relation as each other then they catch different air, and can react differently.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:22 AM
Fork Horn

Scully said what I was trying to say better than I did.

Old 12-10-2002, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote> Matched spine, and found the weak spine side of the arrow. Fletched all six on the weak spine. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

I didn't know that aluminum arrows had a weak spine side. I thought that was just in cedar arrows. What about carbons?

Quick Reply: broadhead and vane allignment?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.