Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Tried a release for the first time! >

Tried a release for the first time!

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Tried a release for the first time!

Old 02-21-2007, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default Tried a release for the first time!

I have shot fingers for about 20 years, baught a new bow and I just was not getting the accuracy I wanted. So after talking with a few on here I decided to try out a release. I borrowed one from a friend tonight and it was a tru-fire. I loved it! Before I could not shoot past 25 yards with fingers and tonight I was shooting back to 50. I guess I am sold on the whole using a release idea. Now I just need to find the one I want to buy. The tru-fire made my wrist sore and it even rubbed a small spot raw. Also I did not like how it was stiff when I was not using it. Like when I was pulling out my arrows it was always in the way. It had a velcro strap.

Do you have any suggestions on what to look for in a release?

Thanks
Old 02-21-2007, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Tried a release for the first time!

I like the scott release with abuckel strap.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ArrowMike

I like the scott release with abuckel strap.
YeaI really like the Scott Lil goose.O yea, and welcome to the dark side
Old 02-21-2007, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stop by a pro-shop and look at a few. Decide what feels best for you, and shoot a few, then you can make a better decision on what you want. I shoot a Tru-Fire Hurricane, but that's just what felt right to me. A lot of guys like the Scott Lil Goose Releases, and I did too, but the shop I was in didn't have a large one, so I opted for my second choice. Once you try it you'll like it more and more.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:07 AM

I use a TRU-Ball Stinger that has a buckel. I like it and it does not make your wrist raw. Mine does not get in the way either.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm using a Scott Sabertooth. At first, I was using a velcro strap Tru-Ball. It took too much pressure on the trigger to release, but the one thing I noticed about the velcro was the noise as the velcro adjusted on the draw.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

The truball copperhead and steelhead are similiar to the scott and you can get the buckle strap. I shot a copperhead and it was pretty comfortable. may get one Saw the Scott though and may try it out too. The Scott looks pretty neat though.
http://www.truball.com/copperhead.html

http://www.scottarchery.com/products/sabertooth-ncs.tpl

Old 02-22-2007, 10:32 AM
Typical Buck

Scott releases are good, I started using a carter 2shot and fell in love with it. I hunt and shoot 3d and spots with it.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the TRUE-FIRE 3-finger caliper release.It's the only kind that i really like for hunting--hand held so it's either clipped on the string all ready to go or it's in my pocket & to me it seems like you can draw MORE WEIGHT COMFORTABLY--i don't like using the strap type releases,but that's just me.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:35 AM
BKE
Fork Horn

I also started with a caliper type that had velcro strap and just didn't really feel comfortable so I went to a Scott Caliper with the molded grip,a good and solid feel when you are drawing and also very comfortable in the hand. Has a hole at the back by the heel of your hand for a lanyard so you dont have to worry about dropping it if thats a concern. Look atScotts website and you'll see the grip under accessories (says it can be used with all or most oftheir release heads).For some reason they don't show it with the rest of the releases but I know the shop I go togets them in and they are prepackaged so it's not something the shop puts together. Give one a try if you can, from what you write I think you'll really like it.

Quick Reply: Tried a release for the first time!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.