Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
3d arrow suggestions.. >

3d arrow suggestions..

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

3d arrow suggestions..

Old 12-05-2002, 06:05 PM
pup

Default 3d arrow suggestions..

what do you guys use for 3d? i was looking at the goldtip 3d pro
Straightness............ +/-0.001 inches
Weight Tolerance............... +/-1 grain any fo you use this arrow?

small but deadly
Old 12-05-2002, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 3d arrow suggestions..

Pup, I know you're doign some homework but you have mentioned the least important of the arrow's properties. Now tell me what the "spine tolerance" is for these arrows. That is the more important of the three.
Myself, I use ACC's. Cost be damned. I want the best bang for the buck.

Old 12-05-2002, 10:15 PM
pup

.520 what is a good spine tolerance?

small but deadly
Old 12-06-2002, 01:08 PM
AK

I've always regarded 3-D as a form of good fun hunting practice as opposed to a separate game in and of itself. Therefore I prefer to use the same bow and arrow setup that I use for hunting. My abilities on a 3-D course represent the best that I am able to achieve with my hunting equipment as opposed to the best that I can achieve with all stops pulled; more satisfying for me than having used equipment selected strictly for 3-D.

Old 12-06-2002, 02:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Spine tolerance is a term that refers to how consistant the spine is from arrow to arrow in a set. People with spine testers can check out the various arrows to see how consistent this is. So far as I know the only technical data that list this is Easton ACC's. The spine tolerance is listed at .005". That means that within a set of them the spine varies no more .005". I've asked some of the various manufacturers of all carbon arrows what their's is and always get the same answer. They tell me what the spine is supposed to be for a certain size arrow but not how much they vary within a set. The thing they do like to list is the straightness. There's a big deal made of arrows that are straight to .001". This doesn't tell me much because it's been ascertained by most Olympic shooters that people can't shoot well enough to tell the difference between .001 and .003". So if straightness is your criteria for choosing an arrow then why pay the extra bucks to buy what you can't use? Of course there are other considerations we use when picking arrows, but frankly, from most people I run into it's mostly for bragging rights.
And if you really take a good look, most top of the line all carbons are just a couple bucks cheaper than ACC's. I already have the ACC's so why waste money on more arrows. I have used several AC's and have found that I break too many nocks and consequently split the arrows. This can be remedied by using Aluminum nock inserts and G-nocks.
Hope this info helpsyou some. Of course others will disagree but then we all don't shoot the same bow either.

Old 12-06-2002, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

You want the most consistent spine possible so each arrow will flex as close to the same way as possible when leaving the bow to give you maximum potential accuracy. With differing spine values in a set of arrows, accuracy suffers.

I bit the bullet and went acc a while back, shooting better ever since

Old 12-06-2002, 03:27 PM
pup

ok i see what you are talking about know thanks bgfisher.. so how important is werigh tolerance???what do you think about the easton x10 and ace? or is the acc a better arrow? i havent done anthing but bow hunting so fare so this is new to me thanks for all the help...

small but deadly
Old 12-06-2002, 10:38 PM

Weight tolerance is also important. There has been a lot of advertizing hype on spine tolerance, but it seems to me, that if you have a set of arrows within .001" and +/- 1 grain the spine would be pretty close as well.
Of course if your REALLY worried about it, you can get your own spine gauge and check a dozen before you buy them (You do get them from a pro shop....right?).
As far as arrows for 3-D...with the way they score (the way MOST any archery game is scored) you get a bonus if you shoot a fat arrow (as long as your as accurate with them).
You might want to check Carbon Express CXL or Linejammer series
Old 12-07-2002, 08:00 AM

Dont over look the Gold Tip 22'S
Old 12-09-2002, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

I use the Arrow Dynamics Nitro-lite for 3D.
I set them up with 60 grains and the build in FOC will do the work when i need to pin point at larger distance.
For me, they group better than the ACC, which will be my second choice.

But than again....The ones that you trust best, will be the right one for you.
Good luck!

Quick Reply: 3d arrow suggestions..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.