Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
Heavy Carbons... >

Heavy Carbons...

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Heavy Carbons...

Old 12-04-2002, 08:27 PM

Default Heavy Carbons...

Does anybody know of any carbons that hit the 11+ gpi area? I would like to use a heavier arrow to increase my KE as well as help to absorb slightly more energy.

I'm shooting a 29" arrow with 100 grain muzzy 3 blades. I ran some numbers keeping these factors the same and decided that an 11-12 gpi arrow would work the best.

I don't want to have to switch back to aluminum or use any weight tubes in my carbons to achieve this if at all possible

By the way I'm shooting at 74 pounds, 29.5" draw, single hard cam.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Edited by - NewYorkHunter on 12/04/2002 21:31:21
Old 12-04-2002, 10:16 PM

Default RE: Heavy Carbons...

Carbon Express Terminator hunters(.006) or Terminator Hunter selects(.003) both weigh around 12gr/in.
Old 12-04-2002, 10:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Carbon Express terminator hunters and Carbon Tech rhinos. Both are 11 gpi or more.
Old 12-05-2002, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gold Tip has one as well, can't recall the name, big game perhaps? It's on their website... Make sure you pick one with the best reputation for spine consistency...

Old 12-05-2002, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

http://www.carbon-tech.com/Hunting/h...elNumber=R101S

Take a look at these.
Old 12-05-2002, 09:21 AM

Is there any way I can use the big game with a 75# draw and 29" arrow. According to the chart I cant get away with this, even if I increase point weight. Will it be too overspined?

Here is the chart:
http://www.goldtip.com/sizing/sizing.html

Any way to get around this?
Old 12-05-2002, 01:14 PM

new york, What kind of KE are you looking for?? I shoot a 400 grain carbon PSE @ 284fps and my KE is 72ft-lbs of energy (bowjackson.com) look it up. I got 2 pass thru`s this year 1.a doe @ 37yards broadside angle towards me arrow went in front chest came out ass (ham) area and stuck in ground 5 inches. 2. 200lb buck 5 yards away 20 feet below, right thru chest 2 inches from spine came out in arm pit. if you are going to shoot bear OK but whitetail???

Evan
Archery Accessories
301-872-0110
Old 12-05-2002, 01:24 PM

I don't necessarily need more KE (although I do bear hunt some). The main reason I'm looking for a heavier arrow is to make my bow more efficient. A little more weight will give me more value in KE than what it costs in velocity up until the tradeoff limit is reached. Thats where I would like to be. This added weight will hopefully make my bow the quietest it can possibly be as well.

Basically I'm just continuously tinkering...Want my bow to be as perfect as possible so my confidence in it is High.
Old 12-05-2002, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

NYH, I went through similar thinking patterns a few months ago. What I did to test the theory out was to go to Walmart and buy one CE terminator hunter. I wouldn't want a dozen of them (poor specs) but it did tell me if my bow would be that much quieter for the speed I would be giving up. Funny thing was, it really didn't seem to shoot any quieter. So, I settled on ACCs, now have the same speed, but with top notch consistency.

If you play around in the ke programs, I think you'll find you might gain a few pounds of ke at best. A cheap way to test a theory...

Old 12-05-2002, 02:21 PM

I've been working it out on paper for a while. I've got theoretical values for all different velocites and arrow weights ranging from 300 grains to 800. I want to try and plot the numbers to see what looks like the best range. Once I get close I was planning on buying just a few arrows like you said to try real scenarios.

Quick Reply: Heavy Carbons...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.