Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Accuracy problems..... >

Accuracy problems.....

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Accuracy problems.....

Old 02-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default Accuracy problems.....

I am very accurate under 30 yrds, but when I get back to 40 or 50 I am all over the place. I think it is my fletching. I have just straight 3.5" fletching. If I went to the blazers will this help? And why? Thanks
Old 02-02-2007, 11:28 AM

Default RE: Accuracy problems.....

I dont really know if it is a personal problem or not , but i shoot blazer vanes and i am extremely accurate with broadheads around 40 yards+.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:29 PM

If you think it's fletching contact spray your rest and riser with atletes foot, tenactin or any type of powder and then shoot your bow and look for lines. what type of rest are you using?? make sure if it's a drop away that it rises up the last 1-1/2" to 2" prior to full draw. I've seen several shooters rest tied off wrong and they start rising at the onset of the draw making it virrtually a fixed rest.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

It is a trophy taker shaky. I think it is because with my straight vanes the arrow does not spin. I read once that for longer shots you should use fletching that makes the arrow spin. Is this true?
Old 02-02-2007, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

somewhat especially with broadheads...use an offset 4 inch fletch...you will no its offset buy looking at how the vane is glued on the shaft. it will be at a 2-4 degree angle instead of parralell to the edge of the shaft...

another fletch is called helical wich gives even more spin....when looking down the shaft you will notice the vane is not only offset but appears twisted(curved) around the shaft ....i cant comment on blazers...i dont use them...i use 4 inch helical feathers and as big an offset as i can get for hunting...slows the arrow down some but it doesnt matter at 20 yards.

an example of this causing spin, would be a table top fan...when you blow at it the fan blade spins.....because of more resistance on one side of the blade than the other(offset) a strait vane has equal resistance on both sides so it doesnt spin
Old 02-02-2007, 07:34 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: gibsonhoyt

I am very accurate under 30 yrds, but when I get back to 40 or 50 I am all over the place. I think it is my fletching. I have just straight 3.5" fletching. If I went to the blazers will this help? And why? Thanks
1st is the problem with broadheads or field tips? If it is broadheads can you get your field pionts to group? Also what arrow, length, vanes, tips + weight, spine, also what bow, draw, Poundage,ect. are you shooting? This will help.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:07 AM
Fork Horn

The problem is with both broadheads and field tips. I shoot Carbon Excell 400's 29" length 4.1gpi 100g tip. Standard vanes.Bow is set at 70#30"Hoyt Vextrix XL. I also shoot fingers. I shot yesterday and at 30 yrds I was fine but back to 40 and 50 I was all over.

Thanks for the help on this!
Old 02-05-2007, 09:21 AM

If you're getting good arrow flight and are grouping well at 30 yards, I doubt your problem is with your arrows. I suspect it has more to do with anchor point/peep location.

As distances increase - especially out at 40, 50 60, etc. your anchor point is going to change slightly since your peep sight is raising slightly with the increase in elevation of your bow. Granted, we're talking very, very small changes, but those small changes are magnified as distance increases.

A slight cant of the bow, which may only be reflected as a right/left shift in point-of-impact at 20 yards of 1/2" could result in a change of 3" or more at 60 yards. A small change of anchor point at 60 yards, will result in the same type of inconsistency.

Field archers, who regularly shoot at 70, 80, and 90 yards, are constantly battling these types of problems
Old 02-05-2007, 05:38 PM

Several things I would suspect...First, you are close to being underspined....In fact, you are. That could be part of it. Another part of the equation is simply this.....The farther away you are from your target the more difficult it is to hit, and groups open up. Third, you may have a tuning issue....but to be honest, sitting here there is NO WAY I could tell you for sure.

I will say this......Last summer I was practicing for season, and was shooting Magnus Stingers w/ Blazers from 70 yards....I was consistently hitting a 2" square w/ that combo....Do Blazers work, you better believe it.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

I think I will take some of my arrows to the pro shop and have them put on a couple of blazers and see if they make a difference. Thanks for the info guys!

Quick Reply: Accuracy problems.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.