Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Can a bow be too shock free? >

Can a bow be too shock free?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Can a bow be too shock free?

Old 01-27-2007, 09:18 AM

Default RE: Can a bow be too shock free?

I think archery is more of a mental game than most people realize and the shock free high priced speedy bows are confidence. There is no doubt that when you get a new bow even if your not shooting so good at first you have such confidence in your equipment that you know it wont fail you and your going to improve. And no I dont think that shock and vibration have anything to do with accuracy. This happens after the arrow is released which doesnt have jack to do with the arrow hitting its mark. I will agree that when shooting a shock free bow it takes some getting used to. But i dont think it can make you any better shooter or worse, just maybe change your confidence level.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with this last post, however, only to an extent. I have read and heard from many good, 595+ shooters that say that they prefer a little "forward umph" for lack of better terminalogy. IF this energy is delivered in a controlled manner, than who's to say its not correct as opposed to no felt recoil at all.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:09 AM

I kind of seperate recoil away from noise and vibration. A bow that slightly jumped forward has never really bothered me. However Ive never shot one that jumped forward that much. However Ive owned some that consistently jumped forward at the shot and others that would torque to one side sometimes at the shot and that shot was usually not placed where you wanted it. So i will say that theyre are bows out there that let you know youve made a bad shot right away by the way they react and there are others that leave you saying, HUH...well that felt good, but not where i wanted it. For an example. I had a versacam cybertec a few years ago would always have a very minimal bottom jump. But felt the same whether you made a perfect placement or pulled the shot. You didnt really know youd made a bad shot untill the arrow hit the target. The bowtech justice I had kicked left everytime I made a bad shot. I suppose bows like this could actually teach the shooter a thing or two about what theyre doing wrong. In other words some bows will emmidiatly tell the shooter that they have made a mistake and others wont. But I think in the end its mostly just up to the archer. Knowing that the bow acted funny and the shot didnt feel right does you no good after the arrows released.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:45 PM

I was @ the range on Sat, & have come up with this conclusion. Maybe the less shock/recoil allows us to have to concentrate more on form & technique due to the fact that now, we are in fact contributing more to the arrows flight. I noticed this when not holding by bow arm straight out until the arrow hits or when not squeezing the trigger. I think that ourform & techniques now are more pronounced, rather than the older style bows covering up our shooting nuances.