Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Legacy Noise

Old 12-01-2002, 12:23 AM
VBM

Default Legacy Noise

Well here goes. I shoot a Mathews Legacy and it is very accurate. It was very quiet. During the preseason it was whisper quiet but when the temps dropped here in Washington it started making a racket. It sounds as if the top string suppressor is not making full contact with the string. It makes a sound like someone strumming a string that is just touching something...that braaap sound. It is very loud and I am afraid to hunt with it this way. I went to my dealer and shot the bow in his shop where it was warm and it was as quiet as could be. I then went to the range which is outdoors and the noise was back! Does anyone have any experience with this type of problem or have any ideas for a solution. There is still over a month of hunting season open here and I would like to get out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-01-2002, 08:46 AM
tm
Fork Horn

Default RE: Legacy Noise

Try a little strip of moleskin on the dampner, if that doesn't do it I heard the you can replace the dampner with a piece of old limbsaver. Just cut it to fit. Whichever just make sure you don't have it catching the string too much and putting too much force on the limb.

Old 12-01-2002, 01:25 PM

Maybe the rubber parts are worn enough that when they get cold and stiffer they don't make enough contact? Try a new set.
Old 12-01-2002, 03:25 PM

e-mail Mathews & ask them for some sugestions. I am sure they will be more than glad to help you out.

Old 12-01-2002, 06:54 PM

I haven't experienced any problems with mine, but I don't have the cold weather here. Post what the problem is, I'll be curious to know.

J. Shoot

Searching
Old 12-01-2002, 07:11 PM

You might want to check the two screws that hold the suppressor brackets on the limbs also.
Old 12-01-2002, 11:58 PM
VBM

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I've only shot perhaps 300 arrows with the bow. The screws that hold the suppressor brackets on require a special tool to tighten or loosen them. I'll give the moleskin a try and let you know what happens. If that helps I'll drop an e-mail to Mathews. Thanks again.
Old 12-02-2002, 02:45 PM
VBM

Well, I tried up to layers of moleskin on the dampner and no luck. Tried two layers under my drop away rest and no luck. I removed the stabilizer and no luck. The bow still makes a buzzing noise when I shoot. A fellow at the range thinks it may be that the washers on the top wheel axle may be just a bit undersized. Will go back to the shop and get them changed....sigh. I was hoping for a solution today. The other shooters at the range tell me it's not as loud as some of their bows so to go ahead and hunt like it is. Hmmm, I think I'll get it fixed first. Thanks again for all the suggestions.
Old 12-02-2002, 05:50 PM

I hunted in twenty degree weather in Illinois this year and had no problems with mine. I have had several commit on how quiet bow is. Good luck. Ask Mathews or dealer you bought it from.
Old 12-03-2002, 05:09 PM

The only thing cold weather has done to my bow, is made it cold. The dampeners may be away from the string. Do u have your bow poundage all the way down? If u have it towards the low end, say 60lbs. out of a 70lb. bow, the length becomes longer in draw and the limbs angle more, therefor moving the dampeners slightly away from the string. They may just be bouncing off. Other than that, i cant think of anything. Try a little wax on the dampener, like bowstring wax. Tell us what happens.

Quick Reply: Legacy Noise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.